- And Jehovah said to me, Take thee a great tablet, and write thereon with a man's style, concerning Maher-shalal-hash-baz.
- And I took unto me to witness, sure witnesses, Urijah the priest, and Zechariah the son of Jeberechiah.
- And I came near to the prophetess, and she conceived and bore a son;
and Jehovah said unto me, Call his name, Maher-shalal-hash-baz.
- For before the lad knoweth to cry, My father!
and, My mother!
the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria.
- And Jehovah spoke again to me, saying,
- Forasmuch as this people refuseth the waters of Shiloah which flow softly, and rejoiceth in Rezin and in the son of Remaliah,
- therefore behold, the Lord will bring up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, the king of Assyria and all his glory;
and he shall mount up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:
- and he shall pass through Judah;
he shall overflow it and go further, he shall reach even to the neck;
and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel!
- Rage, ye peoples, and be broken in pieces!
And give ear, all ye distant parts of the earth: Gird yourselves, and be broken in pieces;
gird yourselves, and be broken in pieces!
- Settle a plan, and it shall come to nought;
speak a word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.
- For Jehovah spoke thus to me with a strong hand, and he instructed me not to walk in the way of this people, saying,
- Ye shall not say, Conspiracy, of everything of which this people saith, Conspiracy;
and fear ye not their fear, and be not in dread.
- Jehovah of hosts, him shall ye sanctify;
and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
- And he will be for a sanctuary;
and for a stone of stumbling, and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
- And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
- Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
- And I will wait for Jehovah, who hideth his face from the house of Jacob;
and I will look for him.
- Behold, I and the children that Jehovah hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel, from Jehovah of hosts, who dwelleth in mount Zion.
- And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto the necromancers and unto the soothsayers, who chirp and who mutter, [say,] Shall not a people seek unto their God?
[Will they go] for the living unto the dead?
- To the law and the testimony!
If they speak not according to this word, for them there is no daybreak.
- And they shall pass through it, hard pressed and hungry;
and it shall come to pass when they are hungry, they will fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and will gaze upward:
- and they will look to the earth;
and behold, trouble and darkness, gloom of anguish;
and they shall be driven into thick darkness.