- And Pashur the son of Immer, the priest — and he was chief officer in the house of Jehovah — heard Jeremiah prophesy these things.
- And Pashur smote Jeremiah the prophet, and put him in the stocks that were in the upper gate of Benjamin, which was in the house of Jehovah.
- And it came to pass the next day, that Pashur brought forth Jeremiah out of the stocks;
and Jeremiah said unto him, Jehovah hath not called thy name Pashur, but Magor-missabib.
- For thus saith Jehovah: Behold, I make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends;
and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall see [it];
and I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry them captive into Babylon, and shall smite them with the sword.
- And, I will give all the wealth of this city, and all its gains, and all its precious things, and all the treasures of the kings of Judah, will I give into the hand of their enemies;
and they shall make them a prey, and take them, and carry them to Babylon.
- And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell in thy house shall go into captivity;
and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and there thou shalt be buried, thou and all thy friends to whom thou hast prophesied falsehood.
- Jehovah, thou hast enticed me, and I was enticed;
thou hast laid hold of me, and hast prevailed;
I am become a derision the whole day: every one mocketh me.
- For as oft as I speak, I cry out;
I proclaim violence and spoil;
for the word of Jehovah is become unto me a reproach and a derision all the day.
- And I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name: but it was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones;
and I became wearied with holding in, and I could not.
- For I have heard the defaming of many, terror on every side: Report, and we will report it.
All my familiars are watching for my stumbling: Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him;
and we shall take our revenge on him.
- But Jehovah is with me as a mighty terrible one;
therefore my persecutors shall stumble and shall not prevail;
they shall be greatly ashamed, for they have not prospered: it shall be an everlasting confusion that shall not be forgotten.
- And thou, Jehovah of hosts, who triest the righteous, who seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them;
for unto thee have I revealed my cause.
- Sing ye unto Jehovah, praise Jehovah, for he hath delivered the soul of the needy from the hand of evildoers.
- Cursed be the day wherein I was born;
let not the day wherein my mother bore me be blessed!
- Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee;
making him very glad!
- And let that man be as the cities which Jehovah overthrew, and repented not;
and let him hear a cry in the morning, and a shouting at noonday,
- because he slew me not from the womb.
Or would that my mother had been my grave, and her womb always great [with me]!
- Wherefore came I forth from the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed in shame?