- Concerning Moab.
Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Woe unto Nebo!
for it is spoiled;
Kirjathaim is put to shame, it is taken;
Misgab is put to shame and dismayed.
- Moab's praise is no more;
in Heshbon they have devised evil against her: Come, and let us cut her off from [being] a nation.
Thou also, O Madmen, shalt be cut down;
the sword shall pursue thee.
- A voice of crying from Horonaim;
wasting and great destruction!
- Moab is destroyed;
her little ones have caused a cry to be heard.
- For by the ascent of Luhith continual weeping shall go up;
for in the descent of Horonaim is heard the anguish of the cry of destruction.
- Flee, save your lives, and be like a shrub in the wilderness.
- For because thou hast confided in thy works and in thy treasures, thou also shalt be taken, and Chemosh shall go forth into captivity, his priests and his princes together.
- And the waster shall come upon every city, that not a city shall escape;
and the valley shall perish, and the plateau shall be destroyed: as Jehovah hath said.
- Give wings unto Moab, that she may flee and get away;
and the cities thereof shall become a desolation, without inhabitant.
- Cursed be he that doeth the work of Jehovah negligently, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood!
- Moab hath been at ease from his youth, and hath settled on his lees;
he hath not been emptied from vessel to vessel, neither hath he gone into captivity: therefore his taste hath remained in him, and his scent is not changed.
- Therefore behold, days come, saith Jehovah, that I will send unto him pourers that shall pour him off, and shall empty his vessels, and break in pieces his flagons.
- And Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh, as the house of Israel was ashamed of Bethel, their confidence.
- How do ye say, We are mighty, and men of valour for the war?
- Moab is laid waste, and his cities are gone up [in smoke], and his chosen young men are gone down to the slaughter, saith the King, whose name is Jehovah of hosts.
- The calamity of Moab is near to come, and his affliction hasteth fast.
- All ye that are about him, bemoan him;
and all ye that know his name, say, How is the strong staff broken, the beautiful rod!
- Come down from [thy] glory and sit in the drought, O inhabitress, daughter of Dibon;
the spoiler of Moab is come up against thee, thy strongholds hath he destroyed.
- Stand by the way, and watch, inhabitress of Aroer;
ask him that fleeth, and her that escapeth;
say, What is done?
- Moab is put to shame;
for he is broken down: howl and cry;
tell it in Arnon, that Moab is laid waste.
- And judgment is come upon the country of the plateau;
upon Holon, and upon Jahzah, and upon Mephaath;
- and upon Dibon, and upon Nebo, and upon Beth-diblathaim;
- and upon Kirjathaim, and upon Beth-gamul, and upon Beth-meon;
- and upon Kerijoth, and upon Bozrah, and upon all the cities of the land of Moab, far and near.
- The horn of Moab is cut off, and his arm is broken, saith Jehovah.
- Make him drunken, for he magnified himself against Jehovah;
and Moab shall wallow in his vomit, and he also shall be in derision.
- For was not Israel a derision unto thee?
Was he found among thieves, that as oft as thou didst speak of him, thou didst shake the head?
- Leave the cities, and dwell in the rocks, ye inhabitants of Moab, and be like the dove, that maketh her nest in the sides of the cave's mouth.
- We have heard of the arrogance of Moab, — [he is] very proud;
— his loftiness, and his arrogance, and his pride, and the haughtiness of his heart.
- I know his wrath, saith Jehovah;
his pratings are vain: they do not as [they say].
- Therefore will I howl for Moab, and I will cry out for all Moab: for the men of Kir-heres shall there be moaning.
- O vine of Sibmah, I will weep for thee with more than the weeping of Jaazer: thy shoots passed over the sea, they reached to the sea of Jaazer.
The spoiler is fallen upon thy summer fruits and upon thy vintage.
- And joy and gladness is taken away from the fruitful field and from the land of Moab;
and I have caused wine to fail from the winepresses: they shall no more tread with shouting;
the shouting shall be no shouting.
- Because of the cry from Heshbon, unto Elaleh, unto Jahaz have they uttered their voice, from Zoar unto Horonaim, [unto] Eglath-shelishijah: for even the waters of Nimrim shall become desolations.
- And I will cause to cease in Moab, saith Jehovah, him that offereth in the high place, and him that burneth incense to his gods.
- Therefore my heart shall sound for Moab like pipes, and my heart shall sound like pipes for the men of Kir-heres;
because the abundance that he hath gotten is perished.
- For every head is bald, and every beard clipped;
upon all the hands are cuttings, and upon the loins sackcloth.
- It is wholly lamentation upon all the housetops of Moab, and in the public places thereof;
for I have broken Moab, like a vessel wherein is no pleasure, saith Jehovah.
- They howl, How is it broken down!
how hath Moab turned the back with shame!
And Moab shall be a derision and a terror to all that are round about him.
- For thus saith Jehovah: Behold, he shall fly as an eagle, and shall spread forth his wings over Moab.
- Kerijoth is taken, and the strongholds are seized, and at that day the heart of the mighty men of Moab shall be as the heart of a woman in her pangs.
- And Moab shall be destroyed from being a people, because he hath magnified himself against Jehovah.
- Fear, and the pit, and the snare shall be upon thee, O inhabitant of Moab, saith Jehovah.
- He that fleeth from the fear shall fall into the pit;
and he that getteth up out of the pit shall be taken in the snare: for I will bring upon her, upon Moab, the year of their visitation, saith Jehovah.
- They that fled stood under the shadow of Heshbon powerless;
for a fire hath come forth from Heshbon, and a flame from the midst of Sihon, and hath consumed the corner of Moab, and the crown of the head of the sons of tumult.
- Woe to thee, Moab!
The people of Chemosh is undone;
for thy sons are taken away in captivity, and thy daughters are captives.
- But I will turn the captivity of Moab at the end of the days, saith Jehovah.
Thus far is the judgement of Moab.