- The word that Jehovah spoke concerning Babylon, concerning the land of the Chaldeans, through Jeremiah the prophet.
- Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and lift up a banner;
publish, conceal not!
Say, Babylon is taken, Bel is put to shame, Merodach is dismayed: her images are put to shame, her idols are dismayed.
- For out of the north there cometh up a nation against her, which shall make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein: both man and beast are fled;
they are gone.
- In those days, and at that time, saith Jehovah, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping as they go, and shall seek Jehovah their God.
- They shall inquire concerning Zion, with their faces thitherward, [saying,] Come, and let us join ourselves to Jehovah, in an everlasting covenant that shall not be forgotten.
- My people are lost sheep;
their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they turned them away on the mountains: they went from mountain to hill, they forgot their resting-place.
- All that found them devoured them, and their adversaries said, We are not guilty, because they have sinned against Jehovah, the habitation of righteousness, even Jehovah, the hope of their fathers.
- Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth out of the land of the Chaldeans, and be as the he-goats before the flock.
- For behold, I will raise and cause to come up against Babylon, an assemblage of great nations from the north country;
and they shall set themselves in array against her: from thence shall she be taken.
Their arrows shall be as those of a mighty expert man: none shall return empty.
- And Chaldea shall be a spoil: all the spoilers thereof shall be satiated, saith Jehovah.
- For ye rejoiced, for ye triumphed, ye plunderers of my heritage;
for ye have been wanton as the heifer at grass, and neighed as steeds.
- Your mother hath been sorely put to shame;
she that bore you hath been covered with reproach: behold, [she is become] hindmost of the nations, a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert.
- Because of the wrath of Jehovah, it shall not be inhabited, but it shall be wholly desolate;
every one that goeth by Babylon shall be astonished, and shall hiss, because of all her plagues.
- Put yourselves in array against Babylon round about, all ye that bend the bow;
shoot at her, spare no arrows: for she hath sinned against Jehovah.
- Shout against her round about: she hath given her hand;
her ramparts are fallen, her walls are thrown down: for this is the vengeance of Jehovah.
Take vengeance upon her;
as she hath done, do unto her.
- Cut off the sower from Babylon, and him that handleth the sickle in the time of harvest.
For fear of the oppressing sword let them turn every one to his people, and let them flee every one to his own land.
- Israel is a hunted sheep;
the lions have driven him away: first the king of Assyria devoured him, and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will visit the king of Babylon and his land, like as I have visited the king of Assyria.
- And I will bring Israel again to his pasture, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon mount Ephraim and in Gilead.
- In those days, and at that time, saith Jehovah, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none;
and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon those whom I leave remaining.
- Go up against the land of double rebellion, against it, and against the inhabitants of visitation;
waste and utterly destroy after them, saith Jehovah, and do according to all that I have commanded thee.
- A sound of battle is in the land, and great destruction.
- How is the hammer of the whole earth cut asunder and broken!
How is Babylon become an astonishment among the nations!
- I have laid a snare for thee, and thou, Babylon, art also taken, and thou wast not aware;
thou art found, and also caught, for thou hast contended with Jehovah.
- Jehovah hath opened his armoury, and hath brought forth the weapons of his indignation;
for this is a work for the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, in the land of the Chaldeans.
- Come ye against her from every quarter, open her storehouses;
pile her up like sheaves, and destroy her utterly: let nothing of her be left.
- Slay all her bullocks;
let them go down to the slaughter: woe unto them!
for their day is come, the time of their visitation.
- The voice of them that flee and escape out of the land of Babylon, to declare in Zion the vengeance of Jehovah our God, the vengeance of his temple.
- Call together the archers against Babylon, all those that bend the bow: encamp against her round about;
let there be no escaping: recompense her according to her work;
according to all that she hath done, do unto her: for she hath acted proudly against Jehovah, against the Holy One of Israel.
- Therefore shall her young men fall in her streets;
and all her men of war shall be cut off in that day, saith Jehovah.
- Behold, I am against thee, proud one, saith the Lord Jehovah of hosts;
for thy day is come, the time that I visit thee:
- and the proud one shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up;
yea, I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all that are round about him.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: The children of Israel and the children of Judah were together oppressed;
and all that took them captives held them fast: they refused to let them go.
- Their Redeemer is strong;
Jehovah of hosts is his name: he will thoroughly plead their cause, that he may give rest to the land, and disquiet the inhabitants of Babylon.
- The sword is upon the Chaldeans, saith Jehovah, and upon the inhabitants of Babylon, and upon her princes, and upon her wise men;
- the sword is upon the liars, and they shall become fools;
the sword is upon her mighty men, and they shall be dismayed;
- the sword is upon their horses, and upon their chariots, and upon all the mingled people that are in the midst of her, and they shall become as women;
the sword is upon her treasures, and they shall be robbed:
- a drought is upon her waters, and they shall be dried up;
for it is a land of graven images, and they are mad after frightful idols.
- Therefore wild beasts of the desert with jackals shall dwell there, and ostriches shall dwell therein;
and it shall be no more inhabited for ever, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation.
- As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and their neighbour cities, saith Jehovah, no one shall dwell there, neither shall a son of man sojourn therein.
- Behold, a people cometh from the north, and a great nation.
And many kings shall arise from the uttermost parts of the earth.
- They lay hold of bow and spear;
they are cruel, and will not shew mercy;
their voice roareth like the sea, and they ride upon horses — set in array like a man for the battle, against thee, O daughter of Babylon.
- The king of Babylon hath heard the report of them, and his hands wax feeble;
trouble hath taken hold of him, pangs as of a woman in travail.
- Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the swelling of the Jordan against the strong habitation;
for I will make him suddenly run away from it;
and who is a chosen [man] whom I may appoint over her?
For who is like me?
and who will assign me a time?
and who is that shepherd that will stand before me?
- Therefore hear the counsel of Jehovah, which he hath taken against Babylon, and his purposes which he hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: The little ones of the flock shall certainly draw them away;
he shall certainly make their habitation desolate for them.
- At the sound of the taking of Babylon the earth hath quaked, and the cry is heard among the nations.