- Oh that my head were waters, and mine eye a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!
- Oh that I had in the wilderness a traveller's lodging-place, that I might leave my people, and go away from them!
For they are all adulterers, an assembly of treacherous men.
- And they bend their tongue, their bow of falsehood, and not for fidelity are they valiant in the land;
for they proceed from evil to evil, and they know not me, saith Jehovah.
- Take ye heed every one of his friend, and confide not in any brother;
for every brother only supplanteth, and every friend goeth about with slander.
- And they act deceitfully every one with his neighbour, and speak not the truth: they teach their tongue to speak falsehood, they weary themselves with perverse dealing.
- Thy habitation is in the midst of deceit;
through deceit they refuse to know me, saith Jehovah.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Behold, I will melt them, and try them;
for how else could I do for the daughter of my people?
- Their tongue is a murderous arrow;
it speaketh deceit.
[A man] speaketh peaceably to his neighbour with his mouth, but in his heart he layeth his ambush.
- Shall I not visit them for these [things]?
shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- For the mountains will I take up weeping and wailing, and for the pastures of the wilderness, a lamentation;
for they are burnt up, so that none passeth through them;
and the voice of the cattle is not heard.
Both the fowl of the heavens and the beasts are fled;
they are gone.
- And I will make Jerusalem heaps, a dwelling-place of jackals;
and I will make the cities of Judah a desolation, without inhabitant.
- Who is a wise man, that he may understand this?
and he to whom the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken, that he may declare it?
Why is the land perished, burnt up like a wilderness, so that none passeth through?
- And Jehovah saith, Because they have forsaken my law which I set before them, and have not hearkened unto my voice, nor walked in it,
- but have walked after the stubbornness of their own heart, and after the Baals, as their fathers taught them;
- therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, Behold, I will feed this people with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink,
- and will scatter them among the nations, whom neither they nor their fathers have known;
and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Consider, and call for the mourning women, that they may come, and send for the skilful women, that they may come;
- and let them make haste, and take up a wailing for us, that our eyes may run down with tears, and our eyelids pour forth waters.
- For a voice of wailing is heard out of Zion, How are we spoiled, sorely put to shame!
For we have forsaken the land, for they have cast down our dwellings.
- Hear then the word of Jehovah, ye women, and let your ear receive the word of his mouth, and teach your daughters wailing, and each one her companion lamentation.
- For death is come up through our windows, is entered into our palaces, to cut off the children from the street, the young men from the broadways.
- Speak, Thus saith Jehovah: Yea, the carcases of men shall fall as dung upon the open field, and as the handful after the reaper, and there shall be none to gather.
- Thus saith Jehovah: Let not the wise glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty glory in his might;
let not the rich glory in his riches:
- but let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I [am] Jehovah, who exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth;
for in these things I delight, saith Jehovah.
- Behold, days are coming, saith Jehovah, when I will visit all [them that are] circumcised with the uncircumcised;
- Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that have the corners [of their beard] cut off, that dwell in the wilderness: for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart.