- Lo, mine eye hath seen all [this], mine ear hath heard and understood it.
- What ye know, I know also: I am not inferior to you.
- But I will speak to the Almighty, and will find pleasure in reasoning with God;
- For ye indeed are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value.
- Oh that ye would be altogether silent!
and it would be your wisdom.
- Hear now my defence, and hearken to the pleadings of my lips.
- Will ye speak unrighteously for God?
and for him speak deceit?
- Will ye accept his person?
will ye contend for God?
- Will it be well if he should search you out?
or as one mocketh at a man, will ye mock at him?
- He will certainly reprove you, if ye do secretly accept persons.
- Shall not his excellency terrify you?
and his dread fall upon you?
- Your memorable sayings are proverbs of ashes, your bulwarks are bulwarks of mire.
- Hold your peace from me, and I will speak, and let come on me what [will]!
- Wherefore should I take my flesh in my teeth, and put my life in my hand?
- Behold, if he slay me, yet would I trust in him;
but I will defend mine own ways before him.
- This also shall be my salvation, that a profane man shall not come before his face.
- Hear attentively my speech and my declaration with your ears.
- Behold now, I have ordered the cause;
I know that I shall be justified.
- Who is he that contendeth with me?
For if I were silent now, I should expire.
- Only do not two things unto me;
then will I not hide myself from thee.
- Withdraw thy hand far from me;
and let not thy terror make me afraid:
- Then call, and I will answer;
or I will speak, and answer thou me.
- How many are mine iniquities and sins?
Make me to know my transgression and my sin.
- Wherefore dost thou hide thy face, and countest me for thine enemy?
- Wilt thou terrify a driven leaf?
and wilt thou pursue dry stubble?
- For thou writest bitter things against me, and makest me to possess the iniquities of my youth;
- And thou puttest my feet in the stocks, and markest all my paths;
thou settest a bound about the soles of my feet;
- One who, as a rotten thing consumeth, as a garment that the moth eateth.