- And Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
- Should a wise man answer with windy knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind,
- Reasoning with unprofitable talk, and with speeches which do no good?
- Yea, thou makest piety of none effect, and restrainest meditation before God.
- For thy mouth uttereth thine iniquity, and thou hast chosen the tongue of the crafty.
- Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I;
and thy lips testify against thee.
- Art thou the first man that was born?
and wast thou brought forth before the hills?
- Hast thou listened in the secret council of +God?
And hast thou absorbed wisdom for thyself?
- What knowest thou that we know not?
[what] understandest thou which is not in us?
- Both the greyheaded and the aged are with us, older than thy father.
- Are the consolations of God too small for thee?
and the word gently spoken to thee?
- Why doth thy heart carry thee away?
and why do thine eyes wink?
- That thou turnest thy spirit against God, and lettest words go out of thy mouth?
- What is man, that he should be pure?
and he that is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
- Behold, he putteth no trust in his holy ones, and the heavens are not pure in his sight:
- How much less the abominable and corrupt, — man, that drinketh unrighteousness like water!
- I will shew thee, listen to me;
and what I have seen I will declare;
- Which wise men have told from their fathers, and have not hidden;
- Unto whom alone the earth was given, and no stranger passed among them.
- All his days the wicked man is tormented, and numbered years are allotted to the violent.
- The sound of terrors is in his ears: in prosperity the destroyer cometh upon him.
- He believeth not that he shall return out of darkness, and he is singled out for the sword.
- He wandereth abroad for bread, — where may it be?
He knoweth that the day of darkness is ready at his hand.
- Distress and anguish make him afraid;
they prevail against him, as a king ready for the battle.
- For he hath stretched out his hand against God, and strengthened himself against the Almighty:
- He runneth against him, with [outstretched] neck, with the thick bosses of his bucklers;
- For he hath covered his face with his fatness, and gathered fat upon [his] flanks.
- And he dwelleth in desolate cities, in houses that no man inhabiteth, which are destined to become heaps.
- He shall not become rich, neither shall his substance continue, and their possessions shall not extend upon the earth.
- He shall not depart out of darkness;
the flame shall dry up his branches;
and by the breath of his mouth shall he go away.
- Let him not trust in vanity: he is deceived, for vanity shall be his recompense;
- It shall be complete before his day, and his branch shall not be green.
- He shall shake off his unripe grapes as a vine, and shall cast his flower as an olive.
- For the family of the ungodly shall be barren, and fire shall consume the tents of bribery.
- They conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity, and their belly prepareth deceit.