- And Job answered and said,
- I have heard many such things: grievous comforters are ye all.
- Shall words of wind have an end?
or what provoketh thee that thou answerest?
- I also could speak as ye: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could join together words against you, and shake my head at you;
- [But] I would encourage you with my mouth, and the solace of my lips should assuage [your pain].
- If I speak, my pain is not assuaged;
and if I forbear, what am I eased?
- But now he hath made me weary;
… thou hast made desolate all my family;
- Thou hast shrivelled me up!
it is become a witness;
and my leanness riseth up against me, it beareth witness to my face.
- His anger teareth and pursueth me;
he gnasheth with his teeth against me;
[as] mine adversary he sharpeneth his eyes at me.
- They gape upon me with their mouth;
they smite my cheeks reproachfully;
they range themselves together against me.
- God hath delivered me over to the iniquitous man, and hurled me into the hands of the wicked.
- I was at rest, but he hath shattered me;
he hath taken me by the neck and shaken me to pieces, and set me up for his mark.
- His arrows encompass me round about, he cleaveth my reins asunder and doth not spare;
he poureth out my gall upon the ground.
- He breaketh me with breach upon breach;
he runneth upon me like a mighty man.
- I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin, and rolled my horn in the dust.
- My face is red with weeping, and on my eyelids is the shadow of death;
- Although there is no violence in my hands, and my prayer is pure.
- O earth, cover not my blood, and let there be no place for my cry!
- Even now, behold, my Witness is in the heavens, and he that voucheth for me is in the heights.
- My friends are my mockers;
mine eye poureth out tears unto +God.
- Oh that there were arbitration for a man with +God, as a son of man for his friend!
- For years [few] in number shall pass, — and I shall go the way [whence] I shall not return.