- And Job answered and said,
- How long will ye vex my soul, and crush me with words?
- These ten times have ye reproached me;
ye are not ashamed to stupefy me.
- And be it [that] I have erred, mine error remaineth with myself.
- If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and prove against me my reproach,
- Know now that +God hath overthrown me, and hath surrounded me with his net.
- Behold, I cry out of wrong, and I am not heard;
I cry aloud, but there is no judgment.
- He hath hedged up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths.
- He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head.
- He breaketh me down on every side, and I am gone;
and my hope hath he torn up as a tree.
- And he hath kindled his anger against me, and hath counted me unto him as one of his enemies.
- His troops have come together and cast up their way against me, and have encamped round about my tent.
- He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are quite estranged from me.
- My kinsfolk have failed, and my known friends have forgotten me.
- The sojourners in my house and my maids count me as a stranger;
I am an alien in their sight.
- I called my servant, and he answered not;
I entreated him with my mouth.
- My breath is strange to my wife, and my entreaties to the children of my [mother's] womb.
- Even young children despise me;
I rise up, and they speak against me.
- All my intimate friends abhor me, and they whom I loved are turned against me.
- My bones cleave to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.
- Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, ye my friends;
for the hand of +God hath touched me.
- Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh?
- Oh would that my words were written!
oh that they were inscribed in a book!
- That with an iron style and lead they were graven in the rock for ever!
- And [as for] me, I know that my Redeemer liveth, and the Last, he shall stand upon the earth;
- And [if] after my skin this shall be destroyed, yet from out of my flesh shall I see +God;
- Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another: — my reins are consumed within me.
- If ye say, How shall we persecute him?
when the root of the matter is found in me,
- Be ye yourselves afraid of the sword!
for the sword is fury against misdeeds, that ye may know there is a judgment.