- And Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
- Can a man be profitable to God?
surely it is unto himself that the wise man is profitable.
- Is it any pleasure to the Almighty if thou art righteous?
And is it gain [to him] that thou makest thy ways perfect?
- Will he reason with thee for fear of thee?
Will he enter with thee into judgment?
- Is not thy wickedness great?
and thine iniquities without end?
- For thou hast taken a pledge of thy brother for nought, and stripped off the clothing of the naked.
- Thou hast not given water to the fainting to drink, and thou hast withholden bread from the hungry.
- But the powerful man, he had the land;
and the man of high rank dwelt in it.
- Widows hast thou sent empty away, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.
- Therefore snares are round about thee, and sudden fear troubleth thee;
- Or darkness, that thou canst not see, and floods of waters cover thee.
- Is not +God in the height of the heavens?
And behold the summit of the stars: how exalted are they!
- And thou sayest, What doth God know?
will he judge through the dark cloud?
- Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not;
and he walketh on the vault of the heavens.
- Dost thou mark the ancient path which wicked men have trodden?
- Who were carried off before the time, whose foundation was overflowed with a flood;
- Who said unto God, Depart from us!
and what could the Almighty do to them?
- Yet he filled their houses with good.
But the counsel of the wicked is far from me.
- The righteous see it, and are glad;
and the innocent laugh them to scorn:
- Is not he who rose against us destroyed, and doth not the fire consume his residue?
- Reconcile thyself now with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee.
- Receive, I pray thee, instruction from his mouth, and lay up his words in thy heart.
- If thou return to the Almighty, thou shalt be built up.
If thou remove unrighteousness far from thy tents,
- And put the precious ore with the dust, and [the gold of] Ophir among the stones of the torrents,
- Then the Almighty will be thy precious ore, and silver heaped up unto thee;
- Yea, then shalt thou delight thyself in the Almighty, and shalt lift up thy face unto +God:
- Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he will hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows;
- And thou shalt decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee;
and light shall shine upon thy ways.
- When they are made low, then thou shalt say, Rise up!
and he shall save him that is of downcast eyes.
- [Even] him that is not innocent shall he deliver;
yea, he shall be delivered by the pureness of thy hands.