- And Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
- If a word were essayed to thee, wouldest thou be grieved?
But who can refrain from speaking?
- Behold, thou hast instructed many, and thou hast strengthened the weak hands;
- Thy words have upholden him that was stumbling, and thou hast braced up the bending knees:
- But now it is come upon thee, and thou grievest;
it toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
- Hath not thy piety been thy confidence, and the perfection of thy ways thy hope?
- Remember, I pray thee, who that was innocent has perished?
and where were the upright cut off?
- Even as I have seen, they that plough iniquity and sow mischief, reap the same.
- By the breath of +God they perish, and by the blast of his nostrils are they consumed.
- The roar of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, and the teeth of the young lions, are broken;
- The old lion perisheth for lack of prey, and the whelps of the lioness are scattered.
- Now to me a word was secretly brought, and mine ear received a whisper thereof.
- In thoughts from visions of the night, when deep sleep falleth on men: —
- Fear came on me, and trembling, and made all my bones to shake;
- And a spirit passed before my face — the hair of my flesh stood up —
- It stood still;
I could not discern the appearance thereof: a form was before mine eyes;
I heard a slight murmur and a voice:
- Shall [mortal] man be more just than +God?
Shall a man be purer than his Maker?
- Lo, he trusteth not his servants, and his angels he chargeth with folly:
- How much more them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, who are crushed as the moth!
- From morning to evening are they smitten: without any heeding it, they perish for ever.
- Is not their tent-cord torn away in them?
they die, and without wisdom.