- And the word of Jehovah came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
- Arise, go to Nineveh, the great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I shall bid thee.
- And Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of Jehovah.
Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
- And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!
- And the men of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
- And the word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and laid his robe from him, and covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
- And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything: let them not feed, nor drink water;
- and let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God;
and let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
- Who knoweth but that God will turn and repent, and will turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
- And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way;
and God repented of the evil that he had said he would do unto them, and he did [it] not.