- How is the gold become dim!
the most pure gold changed!
the stones of the sanctuary poured out at the top of all the streets!
- The sons of Zion, so precious, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- Even the jackals offer the breast, they give suck to their young;
the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst;
the young children ask bread, no man breaketh it unto them.
- They that fed delicately are desolate in the streets;
they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dung-hills.
- And the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the reward of the sin of Sodom, which was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands were violently laid upon her.
- Her Nazarites were purer than snow, whiter than milk;
they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their figure was as sapphire.
- Their visage is darker than blackness, they are not known in the streets;
their skin cleaveth to their bones, it is withered, it is become like a stick.
- The slain with the sword are happier than the slain with hunger;
for these pine away, stricken through for want of the fruits of the field.
- The hands of pitiful women have boiled their own children: they were their meat in the ruin of the daughter of my people.
- Jehovah hath accomplished his fury;
he hath poured out his fierce anger, and hath kindled a fire in Zion, which hath consumed the foundations thereof.
- The kings of the earth, and all the inhabitants of the world, would not have believed that the adversary and the enemy should enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
- [It is] for the sins of her prophets, [and] the iniquities of her priests, who have shed the blood of the righteous in the midst of her.
- They wandered about blind in the streets;
they were polluted with blood, so that men could not touch their garments.
- They cried unto them, Depart!
depart, touch not!
When they fled away, and wandered about, it was said among the nations, They shall no more sojourn [there].
- The face of Jehovah hath divided them;
he will no more regard them.
They respected not the persons of the priests, they favoured not the aged.
- Our eyes still failed for our vain help;
in our watching, we have watched for a nation that did not save.
- They hunted our steps, that we could not go in our streets: our end is near, our days are fulfilled;
for our end is come.
- Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the heavens;
they chased us hotly upon the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.
- The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of Jehovah, was taken in their pits;
of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the nations.
- Rejoice and be glad, daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz: the cup shall pass also unto thee;
thou shalt be drunken, and make thyself naked.
- The punishment of thine iniquity is accomplished, O daughter of Zion;
he will no more carry thee away into captivity.
He will visit thine iniquity, O daughter of Edom;
he will discover thy sins.