- Now the feast of unleavened bread, which [is] called the passover, drew nigh,
- and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might kill him;
for they feared the people.
- And Satan entered into Judas, who was surnamed Iscariote, being of the number of the twelve.
- And he went away and spoke with the chief priests and captains as to how he should deliver him up to them.
- And they were rejoiced, and agreed to give him money.
- And he came to an agreement to do it, and sought an opportunity to deliver him up to them away from the crowd.
- And the day of unleavened bread came, in which the passover was to be killed.
- And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare the passover for us, that we may eat [it].
- But they said to him, Where wilt thou that we prepare [it]?
- And he said to them, Behold, as ye enter into the city a man will meet you, carrying an earthen pitcher of water;
follow him into the house where he goes in;
- and ye shall say to the master of the house, The Teacher says to thee, Where is the guest-chamber where I may eat the passover with my disciples?
- And *he* will shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
- And having gone they found it as he had said to them;
and they prepared the passover.
- And when the hour was come, he placed himself at table, and the [twelve] apostles with him.
- And he said to them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer.
- For I say unto you, that I will not eat any more at all of it until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
- And having received a cup, when he had given thanks he said, Take this and divide it among yourselves.
- For I say unto you, that I will not drink at all of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God come.
- And having taken a loaf, when he had given thanks, he broke [it], and gave [it] to them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
- In like manner also the cup, after having supped, saying, This cup [is] the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
- Moreover, behold, the hand of him that delivers me up [is] with me on the table;
- and the Son of man indeed goes as it is determined, but woe unto that man by whom he is delivered up.
- And *they* began to question together among themselves who then it could be of them who was about to do this.
- And there was also a strife among them which of them should be held to be [the] greatest.
- And he said to them, The kings of the nations rule over them, and they that exercise authority over them are called benefactors.
- But *ye* [shall] not [be] thus;
but let the greater among you be as the younger, and the leader as he that serves.
- For which [is] greater, he that is at table or he that serves?
[Is] not he that is at table?
But *I* am in the midst of you as the one that serves.
- But *ye* are they who have persevered with me in my temptations.
- And *I* appoint unto you, as my Father has appointed unto me, a kingdom,
- that ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
- And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded to have you, to sift [you] as wheat;
- but *I* have besought for thee that thy faith fail not;
and *thou*, when once thou hast been restored, confirm thy brethren.
- And he said to him, Lord, with thee I am ready to go both to prison and to death.
- And he said, I tell thee, Peter, [the] cock shall not crow to-day before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
- And he said to them, When I sent you without purse and scrip and sandals, did ye lack anything?
And they said, Nothing.
- He said therefore to them, But now he that has a purse let him take [it], in like manner also a scrip, and he that has none let him sell his garment and buy a sword;
- for I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned with [the] lawless: for also the things concerning me have an end.
- And they said, Lord, behold here are two swords.
And he said to them, It is enough.
- And going forth he went according to his custom to the mount of Olives, and the disciples also followed him.
- And when he was at the place he said to them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
- And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and having knelt down he prayed,
- saying, Father, if thou wilt remove this cup from me: — but then, not my will, but thine be done.
- And an angel appeared to him from heaven strengthening him.
- And being in conflict he prayed more intently.
And his sweat became as great drops of blood, falling down upon the earth.
- And rising up from his prayer, coming to the disciples, he found them sleeping from grief.
- And he said to them, Why sleep ye?
rise up and pray that ye enter not into temptation.
- As he was yet speaking, behold, a crowd, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went on before them, and drew near to Jesus to kiss him.
- And Jesus said to him, Judas, deliverest thou up the Son of man with a kiss?
- And they who were around him, seeing what was going to follow, said [to him], Lord, shall we smite with [the] sword?
- And a certain one from among them smote the bondman of the high priest and took off his right ear.
- And Jesus answering said, Suffer thus far;
and having touched his ear, he healed him.
- And Jesus said to the chief priests and captains of the temple and elders, who were come against him, Have ye come out as against a robber with swords and sticks?
- When I was day by day with you in the temple ye did not stretch out your hands against me;
but this is your hour and the power of darkness.
- And having laid hold on him, they led him [away], and they led [him] into the house of the high priest.
And Peter followed afar off.
- And they having lit a fire in the midst of the court and sat down together, Peter sat among them.
- And a certain maid, having seen him sitting by the light, and having fixed her eyes upon him, said, And this [man] was with him.
- But he denied [him], saying, Woman, I do not know him.
- And after a short time another seeing him said, And *thou* art of them.
But Peter said, Man, I am not.
- And after the lapse of about one hour another stoutly maintained it, saying, In truth this [man] also was with him, for also he is a Galilaean.
- And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest.
And immediately, while he was yet speaking, [the] cock crew.
- And the Lord, turning round, looked at Peter;
and Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he said to him, Before [the] cock crow thou shalt deny me thrice.
- And Peter, going forth without, wept bitterly.
- And the men who held him mocked him, beating [him];
- and covering him up, asked him saying, Prophesy, who is it that struck thee?
- And they said many other injurious things to him.
- And when it was day, the elderhood of the people, both [the] chief priests and scribes, were gathered together, and led him into their council, saying,
- If *thou* art the Christ, tell us.
And he said to them, If I tell you, ye will not at all believe;
- and if I should ask [you], ye would not answer me at all, nor let me go;
- but henceforth shall the Son of man be sitting on the right hand of the power of God.
- And they all said, *Thou* then art the Son of God?
And he said to them, *Ye* say that I am.
- And they said, What need have we any more of witness, for we have heard ourselves out of his mouth?