- The burden of the word of Jehovah to Israel by Malachi.
- I have loved you, saith Jehovah;
but ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us?
Was not Esau Jacob's brother?
saith Jehovah, and I loved Jacob,
- and I hated Esau;
and made his mountains a desolation, and [gave] his inheritance to the jackals of the wilderness.
- If Edom say, We are broken down, but we will build again the ruined places, — thus saith Jehovah of hosts: They shall build, but I will throw down;
and [men] shall call them the territory of wickedness, and the people against whom Jehovah hath indignation for ever.
- And your eyes shall see [it], and ye shall say, Jehovah is magnified beyond the border of Israel.
- A son honoureth [his] father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour?
and if I be a master, where is my fear?
saith Jehovah of hosts unto you, priests, that despise my name.
But ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?
- Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar;
and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee?
In that ye say, The table of Jehovah is contemptible.
- And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil?
And if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil?
Present it now unto thy governor: will he be pleased with thee?
or will he accept thy person?
saith Jehovah of hosts.
- And now, I pray you, beseech God that he will be gracious unto us.
This hath been of your hand: will he accept any of your persons?
saith Jehovah of hosts.
- Who is there among you that would even shut the doors?
and ye would not kindle [fire] on mine altar for nothing.
I have no delight in you, saith Jehovah of hosts, neither will I accept an oblation at your hand.
- For from the rising of the sun even unto its setting my name shall be great among the nations;
and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure oblation: for my name shall be great among the nations, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- But ye profane it, in that ye say, The table of the Lord is polluted;
and the fruit thereof, his food, is contemptible.
- And ye say, Behold, what a weariness!
And ye have puffed at it, saith Jehovah of hosts, and ye bring [that which was] torn, and the lame, and the sick;
thus ye bring the oblation: should I accept this of your hand?
- Yea, cursed be the deceiver, who hath in his flock a male, and voweth and sacrificeth unto the Lord a corrupt thing;
for I am a great King, saith Jehovah of hosts, and my name is terrible among the nations.