- And now, ye priests, this commandment is for you.
- If ye do not hear, and if ye do not lay [it] to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith Jehovah of hosts, I will even send the curse among you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have already cursed them, because ye do not lay [it] to heart.
- Behold, I will rebuke your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, the dung of your feasts;
and they shall take you away with it.
- And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- My covenant with him was of life and peace, and I gave them to him that he might fear;
and he feared me, and trembled before my name.
- The law of truth was in his mouth, and unrighteousness was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many from iniquity.
- For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and at his mouth they seek the law;
for he is the messenger of Jehovah of hosts.
- But ye are departed out of the way;
ye have caused many to stumble at the law;
ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- And I also have made you contemptible and base before all the people, because ye have not kept my ways, but have respect of persons in [administering] the law.
- Have we not all one father?
Hath not one God created us?
Why do we deal unfaithfully every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?
- Judah hath dealt unfaithfully, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem;
for Judah hath profaned the sanctuary of Jehovah which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.
- Jehovah will cut off from the tents of Jacob the man that doeth this, him that calleth and him that answereth;
and him that offereth an oblation unto Jehovah of hosts.
- And further ye do this: ye cover the altar of Jehovah with tears, with weeping, and with sighing, insomuch that he regardeth not the oblation any more, nor receiveth [it] with satisfaction at your hand.
- Yet ye say, Wherefore?
Because Jehovah hath been a witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt unfaithfully: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
- And did not one make [them]?
and the remnant of the Spirit was his.
And wherefore the one?
He sought a seed of God.
Take heed then to your spirit, and let none deal unfaithfully against the wife of his youth,
- (for I hate putting away, saith Jehovah the God of Israel;) and he covereth with violence his garment, saith Jehovah of hosts: take heed then to your spirit, that ye deal not unfaithfully.
- Ye have wearied Jehovah with your words, and ye say, Wherein have we wearied [him]?
In that ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of Jehovah, and he delighteth in them;
or, Where is the God of judgment?