- Behold, I send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me;
and the Lord whom ye seek will suddenly come to his temple, and the Angel of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he cometh, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- But who shall endure the day of his coming?
and who shall stand when he appeareth?
For he will be like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' lye.
- And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver;
and he will purify the children of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver;
and they shall offer unto Jehovah an oblation in righteousness.
- Then shall the oblation of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto Jehovah, as in the days of old, and as in former years.
- And I will come near to you to judgment;
and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against the false swearers, and against those that oppress the hired servant in [his] wages, the widow and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger [from his right], and fear not me, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- For I Jehovah change not, and ye, sons of Jacob, are not consumed.
- Since the days of your fathers have ye departed from my statutes, and have not kept them.
Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith Jehovah of hosts.
But ye say, Wherein shall we return?
- Will a man rob God?
But ye rob me.
And ye say, Wherein do we rob thee?
[In] tithes and heave-offerings.
- Ye are cursed with a curse;
and me ye rob, [even] this whole nation.
- Bring the whole tithe into the treasure-house, that there may be food in my house, and prove me now herewith, saith Jehovah of hosts, if I open not to you the windows of the heavens, and pour you out a blessing, till there be no place for it.
- And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground;
neither shall your vine cast its fruit before the time in the field, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- And all nations shall call you blessed;
for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- Your words have been stout against me, saith Jehovah;
but ye say, What have we been speaking against thee?
- Ye say, It is vain to serve God;
and what profit is it that we keep his charge, and that we walk mournfully before Jehovah of hosts?
- And now we hold the proud for happy;
yea, they that work wickedness are built up;
yea, they tempt God, and they escape.
- Then they that feared Jehovah spoke often one to another;
and Jehovah observed [it], and heard, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared Jehovah, and that thought upon his name.
- And they shall be unto me a peculiar treasure, saith Jehovah of hosts, in the day that I prepare;
and I will spare them as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
- And ye shall return and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.