- The word of Jehovah that came to Micah the Morasthite in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, [and] Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem.
- Hear, ye peoples, all of you;
hearken, O earth, and all that is therein: and let the Lord Jehovah be witness against you, the Lord from his holy temple!
- For behold, Jehovah cometh forth out of his place, and will come down, and tread upon the high places of the earth.
- And the mountains shall be melted under him, and the valleys shall be cleft, as wax before the fire, as waters poured down a steep place.
- For the transgression of Jacob is all this, and for the sins of the house of Israel.
Whence is the transgression of Jacob?
is it not [from] Samaria?
And whence are the high places of Judah?
are they not [from] Jerusalem?
- Therefore will I make Samaria as a heap of the field, as plantings of a vineyard;
and I will pour down the stones thereof into the valley, and I will lay bare the foundations thereof.
- And all her graven images shall be beaten to pieces, and all her harlot-gifts shall be burned with fire, and all her idols will I make a desolation;
for of the hire of a harlot hath she gathered [them], and to a harlot's hire shall they return.
- For this will I lament, and I will howl;
I will go stripped and naked: I will make a wailing like the jackals, and mourning like the ostriches.
- For her wounds are incurable;
for it is come even unto Judah, it reacheth unto the gate of my people, even to Jerusalem.
- Tell it not in Gath, weep not at all;
at Beth-le-aphrah roll thyself in the dust.
- Pass away, inhabitress of Shaphir, in nakedness [and] shame.
The inhabitress of Zaanan is not come forth for the lamentation of Beth-ezel: he will take from you its shelter.
- For the inhabitress of Maroth waited anxiously for good;
but evil hath come down from Jehovah unto the gate of Jerusalem.
- Bind the chariot to the swift steed, O inhabitress of Lachish: she was the beginning of sin to the daughter of Zion;
for in thee were found the transgressions of Israel.
- Therefore shalt thou give parting-gifts to Moresheth-Gath: the houses of Achzib shall be a lie to the kings of Israel.
- I will yet bring unto thee an heir, O inhabitress of Mareshah;
the glory of Israel shall come even unto Adullam.
- Make thee bald, and poll thee for the children of thy delights;
enlarge thy baldness as the eagle, for they are gone into captivity from thee.