- Hear ye now what Jehovah saith: Arise, contend before the mountains, and let the hills hear thy voice.
- Hear, ye mountains, Jehovah's controversy, and ye, unchanging foundations of the earth;
for Jehovah hath a controversy with his people, and he will plead with Israel.
- O my people, what have I done unto thee?
and wherein have I wearied thee?
testify against me.
- For I brought thee up out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage;
and I sent before thee Moses, Aaron, and Miriam.
- My people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him, from Shittim unto Gilgal, that ye may know the righteousness of Jehovah.
- Wherewith shall I come before Jehovah, bow myself before the high God?
Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves of a year old?
- Will Jehovah take pleasure in thousands of rams, in ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
- He hath shewn thee, O man, what is good: and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with thy God?
- Jehovah's voice crieth unto the city, and wisdom looketh on thy name.
Hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.
- Are there yet treasures of wickedness in the house of the wicked, and the scant measure [which is] abominable?
- Shall I be pure with the unjust balances, and with the bag of deceitful weights?
- For her rich men are full of violence, and her inhabitants speak lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth.
- Therefore also will I make [thee] sick in smiting thee;
I will make [thee] desolate because of thy sins.
- Thou shalt eat, and not be satisfied, and thine emptiness [shall remain] in the midst of thee;
and thou shalt take away, and not save;
and what thou savest will I give up to the sword.
- Thou shalt sow, but thou shalt not reap;
thou shalt tread the olives, but thou shalt not anoint thee with oil;
and new wine, but shalt not drink wine.
- For the statutes of Omri are kept, and all the works of the house of Ahab;
and ye walk in their counsels: that I should make thee a desolation, and the inhabitants thereof a hissing;
and ye shall bear the reproach of my people.