- My son, forget not my teaching, and let thy heart observe my commandments;
- for length of days, and years of life, and peace shall they add to thee.
- Let not loving-kindness and truth forsake thee;
bind them about thy neck, write them upon the tablet of thy heart:
- and thou shalt find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
- Confide in Jehovah with all thy heart, and lean not unto thine own intelligence;
- in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he will make plain thy paths.
- Be not wise in thine own eyes;
fear Jehovah, and depart from evil:
- it shall be health for thy navel, and moisture for thy bones.
- Honour Jehovah with thy substance, and with the first-fruits of all thine increase;
- so shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy vats shall overflow with new wine.
- My son, despise not the instruction of Jehovah, neither be weary of his chastisement;
- for whom Jehovah loveth he chasteneth, even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
- Blessed is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
- For the gain thereof is better than the gain of silver, and her revenue than fine gold.
- She is more precious than rubies;
and all the things thou canst desire are not equal unto her.
- Length of days is in her right hand;
in her left hand riches and honour.
- Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
- She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her;
and happy is he that retaineth her.
- Jehovah by wisdom founded the earth;
by understanding he established the heavens.
- By his knowledge the deeps were broken up, and the skies drop down the dew.
- My son, let them not depart from thine eyes;
keep sound wisdom and discretion:
- so shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace unto thy neck.
- Then shalt thou walk in thy way securely, and thy foot shall not stumble;
- when thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid, but thou shalt lie down and thy sleep shall be sweet.
- Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the destruction of the wicked, when it cometh;
- for Jehovah shall be thy confidence, and he will keep thy foot from being taken.
- Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thy hand to do it.
- Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to-morrow I will give, when thou hast it by thee.
- Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.
- Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm.
- Envy not the man of violence, and choose none of his ways.
- For the perverse is an abomination to Jehovah;
but his secret is with the upright.
- The curse of Jehovah is in the house of the wicked;
but he blesseth the habitation of the righteous.
- He indeed scorneth the scorners;
but he giveth grace unto the lowly.
- The wise shall inherit glory;
but shame shall be the promotion of the foolish.