Give ye thanks unto Jehovah;
for he is good;
for his loving-kindness [endureth] for ever.
- Who can utter the mighty acts of Jehovah?
[who] can shew forth all his praise?
- Blessed are they that keep justice, [and] he that doeth righteousness at all times.
- Remember me, O Jehovah, with [thy] favour toward thy people;
visit me with thy salvation:
- That I may see the prosperity of thy chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the joy of thy nation, that I may glory with thine inheritance.
- We have sinned with our fathers, we have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly.
- Our fathers in Egypt considered not thy wondrous works;
they remembered not the multitude of thy loving-kindnesses;
but they rebelled at the sea, at the Red Sea.
- Yet he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make known his might.
- And he rebuked the Red Sea, and it dried up;
and he led them through the deeps as through a wilderness.
- And he saved them from the hand of him that hated [them], and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
- And the waters covered their oppressors: there was not one of them left.
- Then believed they his words;
they sang his praise.
- They soon forgot his works;
they waited not for his counsel:
- And they lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert.
- Then he gave them their request, but sent leanness into their soul.
- And they envied Moses in the camp, [and] Aaron, the saint of Jehovah.
- The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan, and covered the company of Abiram;
- And fire was kindled in their company;
a flame burned up the wicked.
- They made a calf in Horeb, and did homage to a molten image;
- And they changed their glory into the similitude of an ox that eateth grass.
- They forgot God their Saviour, who had done great things in Egypt,
- Wondrous works in the land of Ham, terrible things by the Red Sea.
- And he said that he would destroy them, had not Moses, his chosen, stood before him in the breach, to turn away his fury, lest he should destroy [them].
- And they despised the pleasant land;
they believed not his word,
- But murmured in their tents: they hearkened not unto the voice of Jehovah.
- And he lifted up his hand to them, that he would make them fall in the wilderness;
- And that he would make their seed fall among the nations, and disperse them through the countries.
- And they joined themselves unto Baal-Peor, and ate the sacrifices of the dead;
- And they provoked [him] to anger with their doings;
and a plague broke out among them.
- Then stood up Phinehas and executed judgment, and the plague was stayed;
- And that was reckoned unto him for righteousness, from generation to generation, for evermore.
- And they moved him to wrath at the waters of Meribah, and it went ill with Moses on their account;
- For they provoked his spirit, so that he spoke unadvisedly with his lips.
- They did not destroy the peoples, as Jehovah commanded them;
- But they mingled with the nations, and learned their works;
- And they served their idols;
and they were a snare unto them:
- And they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto demons,
- And shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan;
and the land was polluted with blood.
- And they were defiled with their works, and went a-whoring in their doings.
- Then was the anger of Jehovah kindled against his people, and he abhorred his inheritance;
- And he gave them into the hand of the nations;
and they that hated them ruled over them:
- And their enemies oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand.
- Often did he deliver them;
but as for them they provoked [him] by their counsel, and they were brought low by their iniquity.
- But he regarded their distress, when he heard their cry;
- And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his loving-kindnesses;
- And he caused them to find compassion of all those that had carried them captives.
- Save us, Jehovah our God, and gather us from among the nations, to give thanks unto thy holy name, [and] to triumph in thy praise.
- Blessed be Jehovah the God of Israel, from eternity and to eternity!
And let all the people say, Amen!