- By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down;
yea, we wept when we remembered Zion.
- We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
- For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song;
and they that made us wail [required] mirth, [saying,] Sing us [one] of the songs of Zion.
- How should we sing a song of Jehovah's upon a foreign soil?
- If I forget thee, Jerusalem, let my right hand forget [its skill];
- If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to my palate: if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.
- Remember, O Jehovah, against the sons of Edom, the day of Jerusalem;
who said, Lay [it] bare, Lay [it] bare, down to its foundation!
- Daughter of Babylon, who art to be laid waste, happy he that rendereth unto thee that which thou hast meted out to us.
- Happy he that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the rock.