- Dauid therefore departed thence, and saued him selfe in the caue of Adullam: & when his brethren & all his fathers house heard it, they went downe thither to him.
- And there gathered vnto him all men that were in trouble and all men that were in dette, and all those that were vexed in minde, and he was their prince, and there were with him about foure hundreth men.
- And Dauid went thence to Mizpeh in Moab, and said vnto the King of Moab, I pray thee, let my father & my mother come and abide with you, till I knowe what God wil doe for me.
- And he brought them before the King of Moab, and they dwelt with him all the while that Dauid was in the holde.
- And the Prophet Gad sayde vnto Dauid, Abide not in the holde, but depart and goe into the land of Iudah.
Then Dauid departed & came into the forest of Hareth.
- And Saul heard that Dauid was discouered, and the men that were with him, and Saul remayned in Gibeah vnder a tree in Ramah, hauing his speare in his hande, and all his seruants stoode about him.
- And Saul said vnto his seruants that stood about him, Heare now, ye sonnes of Iemini, wil the sonne of Ishai giue euery one of you fields & vineyardes: will he make you all captaines ouer thousands, and captaines ouer hundreths:
- That all ye haue conspired against me, and there is none that tellerh mee that my sonne hath made a couenant with the sonne of Ishai?
and there is none of you that is sory for me, or sheweth mee, that my sonne hath stirred vp my seruant to lie in wayte against me, as appeareth this day?
- Then answered Doeg the Edomite (who was appoynted ouer the seruants of Saul) & sayd, I saw the sonne of Ishai when he came to Nob, to Ahimelech the sonne of Ahitub,
- Who asked counsell of the Lorde for him and gaue him vitailes, and he gaue him also the sword of Goliath the Philistim.
- Then the King sent to call Ahimelech the Priest the sonne of Ahitub, and all his fathers house, to wit, the Priests that were in Nob: and they came all to the King.
- And Saul said, Heare now thou sonne of Ahitub;
he answered, Here I am, my lord.
- Then Saul sayde vnto him, Why haue yee conspired against me, thou & the sonne of Ishai, in that thou hast giuen him vitaile, and a sworde, and hast asked counsell of God for him, that he should rise against me, and lye in wayte as appeareth this day?
- And Ahimelech answered the King, and sayde, Who is so faithfull among all thy seruants as Dauid, being also the Kings sonne in lawe, and goeth at thy commandement, and is honourable in thine house?
- Haue I this day first begun to aske counsell of God for him?
be it farre from mee, let not the King impute any thing vnto his seruant, nor to all the house of my father: for thy seruant knew nothing of all this, lesse nor more.
- Then the King sayd, Thou shalt surely die, Ahimelech, thou, and all thy fathers house.
- And the King sayde vnto the sergeantes that stoode about him, Turne, & slay the Priestes of the Lorde, because their hand also is with Dauid, and because they knewe when he fled, and shewed it not vnto mee.
But the seruantes of the King would not moue their hands to fall vpon the Priests of the Lord.
- Then the King sayde to Doeg, Turne thou and fall vpon the Priests;
Doeg the Edomite turned, and ran vpon the Priestes, and slewe that same daye foure score and fiue persons that did weare a linen Ephod.
- Also Nob the citie of the Priestes smote he with the edge of the sword, both man & woman, both childe and suckling, both oxe and asse, and sheepe with the edge of the sword.
- But one of the sonnes of Ahimelech the sonne of Ahitub (whose name was Abiathar) escaped and fled after Dauid.
- And Abiathar shewed Dauid, that Saul had slayne the Lords Priestes.
- And Dauid sayd vnto Abiathar, I knewe it the same day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would tell Saul.
I am the cause of the death of all the persons of thy fathers house.
- Abide thou with me, & feare not: for he that seeketh my life, shall seeke thy life also: for with me thou shalt be in safegard.