- Nowe the childe Samuel ministred vnto the Lord before Eli: and the word of the Lord was precious in those dayes: for there was no manifest vision.
- And at that time, as Eli lay in his place, his eyes began to waxe dimme that he could not see.
- And yet the light of God went out, Samuel slept in the temple of the Lorde, where the Arke of God was.
- Then the Lorde called Samuel: and hee said, Here I am.
- And he ranne vnto Eli, and said, Here am I, for thou calledst me.
But he said, I called thee not: goe againe and sleepe;
he went and slept.
- And the Lorde called once againe, Samuel;
Samuel arose, and went to Eli, and said, I am here: for thou diddest call me;
he answered, I called thee not, my sonne: go againe and sleepe.
- Thus did Samuel, before hee knewe the Lord, and before the word of the Lord was reueiled vnto him.
- And the Lorde called Samuel againe the thirde time: and he arose, and went to Eli, & said, I am here: for thou hast called me.
Then Eli perceiued that the Lord had called the childe.
- Therefore Eli saide vnto Samuel, Goe and sleepe: and if he call thee, then say, Speake Lorde, for thy seruant heareth.
So Samuel went, and slept in his place.
- And the Lord came, and stoode, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel.
Then Samuel answered, Speake, for thy seruant heareth.
- Then the Lord said to Samuel, Beholde, I wil doe a thing in Israel, whereof whosoeuer shall heare, his two eares shall tingle.
- In that day I will raise vp against Eli all things which I haue spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an ende.
- And I haue tolde him that I will iudge his house for euer, for the iniquitie which hee knoweth, because his sonnes ranne into a slaunder, and he stayed them not.
- Nowe therefore I haue sworne vnto the house of Eli, that the wickednes of Elis house, shal not be purged with sacrifice nor offring for euer.
- Afterward Samuel slept vntil the morning, and opened the doores of the house of the Lord, and Samuel feared to shewe Eli the vision.
- Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel my sonne;
he answered, Here I am.
- Then he said, What is it, that the Lord said vnto thee?
I pray thee, hide it not from mee.
God doe so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me, of all that he said vnto thee.
- So Samuel tolde him euery whit, and hid nothing from him.
Then hee said, It is the Lorde: let him do what seemeth him good.
- And Samuel grew, & the Lord was with him, and let none of his words fall to the ground.
- And all Israel fro Dan to Beer-sheba knew that faithfull Samuel was the Lordes Prophet.
- And the Lorde appeared againe in Shiloh: for the Lorde reueiled himselfe to Samuel in Shiloh by his word.