- It is not expedient for me no doubt to reioyce: for I will come to visions and reuelations of the Lorde.
- I know a man in Christ aboue fourteene yeeres agone, (whether he were in the body, I can not tell, or out of the body, I can not tell: God knoweth) which was taken vp into the thirde heauen.
- And I knowe such a man (whether in the body, or out of the body, I can not tell: God knoweth)
- How that he was taken vp into Paradise, and heard words which cannot be spoken, which are not possible for man to vtter.
- Of such a man will I reioyce: of my selfe will I not reioyce, except it bee of mine infirmities.
- For though I woulde reioyce, I should not be a foole, for I will say the trueth: but I refraine, lest any man should thinke of me aboue that hee seeth in me, or that he heareth of me.
- And lest I should be exalted out of measure through the aboundance of reuelations, there was giuen vnto me a pricke in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet mee, because I should not be exalted out of measure.
- For this thing I besought the Lord thrise, that it might depart from me.
- And he said vnto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect through weakenesse.
Very gladly therefore will I reioyce rather in mine infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
- Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproches, in necessities, in persecutions, in anguish for Christes sake: for when I am weake, then am I strong.
- I was a foole to boast my selfe: yee haue compelled mee: for I ought to haue bene commended of you: for in nothing was I inferiour vnto the very chiefe Apostles, though I bee nothing.
- The signes of an Apostle were wrought among you with all patience, with signes, and wonders, and great workes.
- For what is it, wherein yee were inferiours vnto other Churches, except that I haue not bene slouthfull to your hinderance?
forgiue me this wrong.
- Behold, the thirde time I am ready to come vnto you, and yet will I not be slouthfull to your hinderance: for I seeke not yours, but you: for the children ought not to laye vp for the fathers, but the fathers for the children.
- And I will most gladly bestow, and will be bestowed for your soules: though the more I loue you, the lesse I am loued.
- But bee it that I charged you not: yet for as much as I was craftie, I tooke you with guile.
- Did I pill you by any of them whom I sent vnto you?
- I haue desired Titus, and with him I haue sent a brother: did Titus pill you of any thing?
walked we not in the selfe same spirit?
walked we not in the same steppes?
- Againe, thinke yee that wee excuse our selues vnto you?
we speake before God in Christ.
But wee doe all thinges, dearely beloued, for your edifying.
- For I feare least when I come, I shall not finde you such as I would: and that I shalbe found vnto you such as ye woulde not, and least there be strife, enuying, wrath, contentions, backebitings, whisperings, swellings and discord.
- I feare least when I come againe, my God abase me among you, and I shall bewaile many of them which haue sinned already, and haue not repented of the vncleannesse, and fornication, and wantonnesse which they haue committed.