- The Elder to the elect Lady, and her children, whom I loue in the trueth: and not I onely, but also all that haue knowen the trueth,
- For the trueths sake which dwelleth in vs, and shalbe with vs for euer:
- Grace be with you, mercie and peace from God the Father, and from the Lorde Iesus Christ the Sonne of the Father, with trueth and loue.
- I reioyced greatly, that I founde of thy children walking in trueth, as we haue receiued a commandement of the Father.
- And nowe beseeche I thee, Lady, (not as writing a newe commandement vnto thee, but that same which we had from the beginning) that we loue one another.
- And this is that loue, that we should walke after his commandements.
This commandement is, that as ye haue heard from the beginning, ye should walke in it.
- For many deceiuers are entred into this worlde, which confesse not that Iesus Christ is come in the flesh.
He that is such one, is a deceiuer and an Antichrist.
- Looke to your selues, that we lose not the things which we haue done, but that we may receiue full reward.
- Whosoeuer transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.
He that continueth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Sonne.
- If there come any vnto you, and bring not this doctrine, receiue him not to house, neither bid him, God speede:
- For he that biddeth him, God speede, is partaker of his euill deedes.
- Although I had many things to write vnto you, yet I woulde not write with paper & ynke: but I trust to come vnto you, & speake mouth to mouth, that our ioy may be full.
- The sonnes of thine elect sister greete thee, Amen.