- And when Sauls sonne heard that Abner was dead in Hebron, then his handes were feeble, and all Israel was afraide,
- And Sauls sonne had two men that were captaines of bandes: the one called Baanah, and the other called Rechab, the sonnes of Rimmon a Beerothite of the children of Beniamin.
(for Beeroth was reckened to Beniamin,
- Because the Beerothites fled to Gittaim, and soiourned there, vnto this day).
- And Ionathan Sauls sonne had a sonne that was lame on his feete: he was fiue yere olde when the tydings came of Saul and Ionathan out of Israel: then his nourse tooke him, and fledde away;
as she made haste to flee, the childe fell, and beganne to halte, and his name was Mephibosheth.
- And the sonnes of Rimmon the Beerothite, Rechab and Baanah went and came in the heat of the day to the house of Ish-bosheth (who slept on a bed at noone)
- And beholde, Rechab and Baanah his brother came into the middes of the house as they would haue wheate, and they smote him vnder the fift ryb, and fled.
- For when they came into the house, he slept on his bed in his bed chamber, & they smote him, and slewe him, and beheaded him, and tooke his head, and gate them away through the plaine all the night.
- And they brought the head of Ish-bosheth vnto Dauid to Hebron, and saide to the King, Beholde the head of Ish-bosheth Sauls sonne thine enemie, who sought after thy life: and the Lorde hath auenged my lorde the King this day of Saul, and of his seede.
- Then Dauid answered Rechab & Baanah his brother, the sonnes of Rimmon the Beerothite, and saide vnto them, As the Lorde liueth, who hath deliuered my soule out of al aduersity,
- When one tolde me, and sayde that Saul was dead, (thinking to haue brought good tydings) I tooke him and slewe him in Ziklag, who thought that I woulde haue giuen him a rewarde for his tidings:
- How much more, when wicked men haue slaine a righteous person in his owne house, and vpon his bed?
shal I not now therfore require his blood at your hand, and take you from the earth?
- Then Dauid commanded his yong men, & they slew them, and cut off their hands and their feete, and hanged them vp ouer the poole in Hebron: but they tooke the head of Ish-bosheth, & buried it in the sepulchre of Abner in Hebron.