- And all the Congregation of the children of Israel departed from the wildernesse of Sin, by their iourneyes at the commaundement of the Lord, and camped in Rephidim, where was no water for the people to drinke.
- Wherefore the people contended with Moses, and sayde, Giue vs water that we may drinke;
Moses sayde vnto them, Why contende yee with me?
wherefore do ye tempt the Lord?
- So the people thirsted there for water, & the people murmured against Moses, & said, Wherefore hast thou thus brought vs out of Egypt to kil vs and our children and our cattel with thirst?
- And Moses cried to the Lorde, saying, What shal I do to this people?
for they be almost ready to stone me.
- And ye Lord answered to Moses, Goe before the people, and take with thee of the Elders of Israel: and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the riuer, take in thine hand, and go:
- Behold, I will stand there before thee vpon the rocke in Horeb, and thou shalt smite on the rocke, and water shall come out of it, that the people may drinke;
Moses did so in the sight of the Elders of Israel.
- And he called the name of the place, Massah and Meribah, because of the contention of the children of Israel, and because they had tempted the Lorde, saying, Is the Lorde among vs, or no?
- Then came Amalek and fought with Israel in Rephidim.
- And Moses sayde to Ioshua, Chuse vs out men, and go fight with Amalek: to morowe I will stande on the toppe of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.
- So Ioshua did as Moses bad him, & fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur, went vp to the top of the hill.
- And when Moses helde vp his hande, Israel preuailed: but when he let his hande downe, Amalek preuailed.
- Nowe Moses handes were heauy: therefore they tooke a stone and put it vnder him, and hee sate vpon it: and Aaron and Hur stayed vp his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side: so his hands were steady vntill the going downe of the sunne.
- And Ioshua discomfited Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
- And the Lorde sayde to Moses, Write this for a remembrance in the booke, and rehearse it to Ioshua: for I will vtterly put out the remembraunce of Amalek from vnder heauen.
- (And Moses builte an altar and called the name of it, Iehouah-nissi)
- Also he said, The Lord hath sworne, that he will haue warre with Amalek from generation to generation.