- My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receiue the greater condemnation.
- For in many things we sinne all.
If any man sinne not in word, he is a perfect man, and able to bridle all the body.
- Beholde, we put bittes into the horses mouthes, that they should obey vs, and we turne about all their bodie.
- Behold also the shippes, which though they be so great, and are driuen of fierce windes, yet are they turned about with a very small rudder, whither soeuer the gouernour listeth.
- Euen so the tongue is a litle member, and boasteth of great things: beholde, howe great a thing a litle fire kindleth.
- And the tongue is fire, yea, a worlde of wickednesse: so is the tongue set among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature, and it is set on fire of hell.
- For the whole nature of beasts, & of birds, and of creeping things, and things of the sea is tamed, and hath bene tamed of the nature of man.
- But the tongue can no man tame.
It is an vnruly euill, full of deadly poyson.
- Therewith blesse we God euen the Father, and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
- Out of one mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing: my brethren, these things ought not so to be.
- Doeth a fountaine send forth at one place sweete water and bitter?
- Can ye figge tree, my brethren, bring forth oliues, either a vine figges?
so can no fountaine make both salt water and sweete.
- Who is a wise man & endued with knowledge among you?
let him shew by good conuersation his workes in meekenesse of wisdome.
- But if ye haue bitter enuying and strife in your hearts, reioyce not, neither be liars against the trueth.
- This wisedome descendeth not from aboue, but is earthly, sensuall, and deuilish.
- For where enuying and strife is, there is sedition, and all maner of euill workes.
- But the wisedome that is from aboue, is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easie to be intreated, full of mercie & good fruites, without iudging, and without hipocrisie.
- And the fruite of righteousnesse is sowen in peace, of them that make peace.