- From whence are warres and contentions among you?
are they not hence, euen of your pleasures, that fight in your members?
- Ye lust, and haue not: ye enuie, and desire immoderately, and cannot obtaine: ye fight and warre, and get nothing, because ye aske not.
- Ye aske, and receiue not, because ye aske amisse, that ye might lay the same out on your pleasures.
- Ye adulterers and adulteresses, knowe ye not that the amitie of the world is the enimitie of God?
Whosoeuer therefore will be a friend of the world, maketh himselfe the enemie of God.
- Doe ye thinke that the Scripture sayeth in vaine, The spirit that dwelleth in vs, lusteth after enuie?
- But the Scripture offereth more grace, and therefore sayth, God resisteth the proude, and giueth grace to the humble.
- Submit your selues to God: resist the deuill, and he will flee from you.
- Drawe neere to God, and he will drawe nere to you.
Clense your handes, ye sinners, and purge your hearts, ye double minded.
- Suffer afflictions, and sorrowe ye, and weepe: let your laughter be turned into mourning, and your ioy into heauinesse.
- Cast downe your selues before the Lord, and he will lift you vp.
- Speake not euill one of another, brethren.
He that speaketh euill of his brother, or he that condemneth his brother, speaketh euill of ye Law, and condemneth the Lawe: and if thou condemnest the Lawe, thou art not an obseruer of the Lawe, but a iudge.
- There is one Lawgiuer, which is able to saue, and to destroy.
Who art thou that iudgest another man?
- Goe to now ye that say, To day or to morowe we will goe into such a citie, and continue there a yeere, and bye and sell, and get gaine,
- (And yet ye cannot tell what shalbe to morowe.
For what is your life?
It is euen a vapour that appeareth for a litle time, and afterward vanisheth away)
- For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, and, if we liue, we will doe this or that.
- But nowe ye reioyce in your boastings: all such reioycing is euill.
- Therefore, to him that knoweth howe to doe well, and doeth it not, to him it is sinne.