- And the me of Ephraim gathered themselues together, and went Northwarde, and saide vnto Iphtah, Wherefore wentest thou to fight against the children of Ammon, and diddest not call vs to goe with thee?
we will therefore burne thine house vpon thee with fire.
- And Iphtah said vnto them, I and my people were at great strife with the children of Ammon, and when I called you, ye deliuered me not out of their handes.
- So when I sawe that ye deliuered me not, I put my life in mine hands, and went vpon the children of Ammon: so the Lord deliuered them into mine handes.
Wherefore then are ye come vpon me nowe to fight against me?
- Then Iphtah gathered all the men of Gilead, and fought with Ephraim: and the men of Gilead smote Ephraim, because they said, Ye Gileadites are runnagates of Ephraim among the Ephraimites, and among the Manassites.
- Also the Gileadites tooke the passages of Iorden before the Ephraimites, and when the Ephraimites that were escaped, saide, Let me passe, then the men of Gilead said vnto him, Art thou an Ephraimite?
If he said, Nay,
- Then said they vnto him, Say nowe Shibboleth: and he said, Sibboleth: for he could not so pronounce: then they tooke him, and slewe him at the passages of Iorden: & there fel at that time of the Ephraimites two & fourtie thousand.
- And Iphtah iudged Israel sixe yeere: then dyed Iphtah the Gileadite, and was buryed in one of the cities of Gilead.
- After him Ibzan of Beth-lehem iudged Israel,
- Who had thirtie sonnes and thirtie daughters, which he sent out, & tooke in thirtie daughters from abroade for his sonnes;
he iudged Israel seuen yeere.
- Then Ibzan died, and was buryed at Bethlehem.
- And after him iudged Israel Elon, a Zebulonite, and he iudged Israel tenne yeere.
- Then Elon the Zebulonite dyed, and was buryed in Aijalon in the countrey of Zebulun.
- And after him Abdon the sonne of Hillel the Pirathonite iudged Israel.
- And he had fourty sonnes and thirtie nephewes that rode on seuentie assecoltes: and he iudged Israel eight yeeres.
- Then dyed Abdon the sonne of Hillel the Pirathonite, & was buryed in Pirathon, in ye lande of Ephraim, in the Mount of the Amalekites.