- Thus sayth the Lorde vnto mee, Goe, and buy thee a linen girdle, & put it vpon thy loynes, and put it not in water.
- So I bought the girdle according to the commandement of the Lord, and put it vpon my loynes.
- And the worde of the Lorde came vnto me the second time, saying,
- Take the girdle that thou hast bought, which is vpon thy loynes, and arise, goe towarde Perath, and hide it there in the cleft of the rocke.
- So I went, and hid it by Perath, as the Lord had commanded me.
- And after many dayes, the Lorde sayde vnto mee, Arise, goe towarde Perath, and take the girdle from thence, which I commaunded thee to hide there.
- Then went I to Perath, and digged, & tooke the girdle from the place where I had hid it, and behold, the girdle was corrupt, and was profitable for nothing.
- Then the word of the Lord came vnto me, saying,
- Thus sayth the Lord, After this maner will I destroy the pride of Iudah, and the great pride of Ierusalem.
- This wicked people haue refused to heare my word, and walke after ye stubbernesse of their owne heart, and walke after other gods to serue them, and to worship them: therefore they shalbe as this girdle, which is profitable to nothing.
- For as the girdle cleaueth to the loynes of a man, so haue I tied to me the whole house of Israel, and the whole house of Iudah, saith the Lorde, that they might bee my people: that they might haue a name and prayse, and glory, but they would not heare.
- Therefore thou shalt saye vnto them this word, Thus sayth the Lorde God of Israel, Euery bottell shalbe filled with wine, and they shal say vnto thee, Doe we not knowe that euery bottell shalbe filled with wine?
- Then shalt thou say vnto them, Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will fill all the inhabitants of this land, euen the Kings that sit vpon the throne of Dauid, and the Priestes and the Prophets and all the inhabitantes of Ierusalem with drunkennesse.
- And I wil dash them one against another, euen the fathers and the sonnes together, sayeth the Lord: I will not spare, I will not pitie nor haue compassion, but destroy them.
- Heare and giue eare, be not proude: for the Lord hath spoken it.
- Giue glory to the Lorde your God before he bring darknes, and or euer your feete stumble in the darke mountaines, and whiles you look for light, he turne it into the shadowe of death and make it as darkenesse.
- But if ye will not heare this, my soule shall weepe in secrete for your pride, and mine eye shall weepe and drop downe teares, because the Lords flocke is caried away captiue.
- Say vnto the King and to the Queene, Humble yourselues, sit downe, for the crowne of your glorye shall come downe from your heads.
- The cities of the South shall be shut vp, and no man shall open them: all Iudah shall be caried away captiue: it shall be wholy caried away captiue.
- Lift vp your eyes and beholde them that come fro the North: where is the flocke that was giuen thee, euen thy beautifull flocke?
- What wilt thou saye, when hee shall visite thee?
(for thou hast taught them to be captaines and as chiefe ouer thee) shall not sorow take thee as a woman in trauaile?
- And if thou say in thine heart, Wherefore come these things vpon me?
For the multitude of thine iniquities are thy skirts discouered and thy heeles made bare.
- Can the blacke More change his skin?
or the leopard his spots?
then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do euill.
- Therefore will I scatter them, as the stubble that is taken away with the South winde.
- This is thy portion, and ye part of thy measures from me, sayth the Lorde, because thou hast forgotten me and trusted in lyes.
- Therefore I haue also discouered thy skirts vpon thy face, that thy shame may appeare.
- I haue seene thine adulteries, and thy neiings, the filthinesse of thy whoredome on the hils in the fieldes, and thine abominations.
Wo vnto thee, O Ierusalem: wilt thou not bee made cleane?
when shal it once be?