- My soule is cut off though I liue: I wil leaue my complaint vpon my selfe, & wil speake in the bitternesse of my soule.
- I will say vnto God, Condemne mee not: shew me, wherefore thou contendest with mee.
- Thinkest thou it good to oppresse me, and to cast off the labour of thine handes, and to fauour the counsel of the wicked?
- Hast thou carnall eyes?
Or doest thou see as man seeth?
- Are thy dayes as mans dayes?
Or thy yeres, as the time of man,
- That thou inquirest of mine iniquitie, and searchest out my sinne?
- Thou knowest that I can not do wickedly: for none can deliuer me out of thine hand.
- Thine handes haue made me, and fashioned mee wholy rounde about, and wilt thou destroy me?
- Remeber, I pray thee, that thou hast made me as the clay, and wilt thou bring me into dust againe?
- Hast thou not powred me out as milke?
& turned me to cruds like cheese?
- Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and ioyned me together with bones and sinewes.
- Thou hast giuen me life, & grace: & thy visitation hath preserued my spirit.
- Though thou hast hid these things in thine heart, yet I knowe that it is so with thee.
- If I haue sinned, then thou wilt streightly looke vnto me, and wilt not holde mee giltlesse of mine iniquitie.
- If I haue done wickedly, wo vnto me: if I haue done righteously, I will not lift vp mine head, being full of confusion, because I see mine affliction.
- But let it increase: hunt thou me as a lyon: returne and shew thy selfe marueilous vpon me.
- Thou renuest thy plagues against me, and thou increasest thy wrath against me: changes and armies of sorowes are against me.
- Wherfore then hast thou brought me out of the wombe?
Oh that I had perished, and that none eye had seene me!
- And that I were as I had not bene, but brought from the wombe to the graue!
- Are not my dayes fewe?
let him cease, and leaue off from me, that I may take a litle comfort,
- Before I goe and shall not returne, euen to the land of darkenesse and shadow of death:
- Into a land, I say, darke as darknes it selfe, and into the shadow of death, where is none order, but the light is there as darkenesse.