- Then answered the Lord vnto Iob out of the whirle winde, and said,
- Who is this that darkeneth the counsell by wordes without knowledge?
- Girde vp nowe thy loynes like a man: I will demande of thee & declare thou vnto me.
- Where wast thou when I layd the foundations of the earth?
Declare, if thou hast vnderstanding,
- Who hath layde the measures thereof, if thou knowest, or who hath stretched the line ouer it:
- Whereupon are the foundations thereof set: or who layed the corner stone thereof:
- When the starres of the morning praysed me together, and all the children of God reioyced:
- Or who hath shut vp the Sea with doores, when it yssued and came foorth as out of the wombe:
- When I made the cloudes as a couering thereof, and darkenesse as the swadeling bands thereof:
- When I stablished my commandement vpon it, and set barres and doores,
- And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no farther, and here shall it stay thy proude waues.
- Hast thou commanded the morning since thy dayes?
Hast thou caused the morning to knowe his place,
- That it might take hold of the corners of the earth, and that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
- It is turned as clay to facion, and all stand vp as a garment.
- And from the wicked their light shall be taken away, and the hie arme shalbe broken.
- Hast thou entred into the bottomes of the sea?
Or hast thou walked to seeke out the depth?
- Haue the gates of death bene opened vnto thee?
Or hast thou seene the gates of the shadowe of death?
- Hast thou perceiued the breadth of the earth?
Tell if thou knowest all this.
- Where is the way where light dwelleth?
And where is the place of darkenesse,
- That thou shouldest receiue it in the boundes thereof, and that thou shouldest knowe the paths to the house thereof?
- Knewest thou it, because thou wast then borne, and because the nomber of thy dayes is great?
- Hast thou entred into the treasures of the snow?
Or hast thou seene the treasures of ye haile,
- Which I haue hid against the time of trouble, against the day of warre and battell?
- By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the East winde vpon the earth?
- Who hath deuided the spowtes for the raine?
Or the way for the lightning of ye thunders,
- To cause it to raine on the earth where no man is, and in the wildernes where there is no man?
- To fulfil the wilde and waste place, and to cause the bud of the herbe to spring forth?
- Who is the father of the rayne?
Or who hath begotten the droppes of the dewe?
- Out of whose wombe came the yee?
Who hath ingendred the frost of the heauen?
- The waters are hid as with a stone: and the face of the depth is frosen.
- Canst thou restraine the sweete influences of the Pleiades?
Or loose the bandes of Orion?
- Canst thou bring foorth Mazzaroth in their time?
Canst thou also guide Arcturus with his sonnes?
- Knowest thou the course of heauen, or canst thou set the rule thereof in the earth?
- Canst thou lift vp thy voice to the cloudes that the aboundance of water may couer thee?
- Canst thou sende the lightenings that they may walke, and say vnto thee, Loe, heere we are?
- Who hath put wisedome in the reines?
Or who hath giuen the heart vnderstanding?
- Who can nomber cloudes by wisedome?
Or who can cause to cease the bottels of heaue,
- When the earth groweth into hardnesse, and the clottes are fast together?
- Wilt thou hunt the pray for the lyon?
or fill the appetite of the lyons whelpes,
- When they couch in their places, and remaine in the couert to lye in waite?
- Who prepareth for the rauen his meate, when his birdes crie vnto God, wandering for lacke of meate?