- To him that excelleth.
A Psalme of Dauid on Michtam.
When Saul sent and they did watch the house to kill him.
- O my God, deliuer mee from mine enemies: defend me fro them that rise vp against me.
- Deliuer me from the wicked doers, and saue me from the bloody men.
- For loe, they haue layd waite for my soule: the mightie men are gathered against me, not for mine offence, nor for my sinne, O Lord.
- They runne and prepare themselues without a fault on my part: arise therefore to assist me, and beholde.
- Euen thou, O Lorde God of hostes, O God of Israel awake to visit all the heathen, and be not merciful vnto all that transgresse maliciously.
- They goe to and fro in the euening: they barke like dogs, and goe about the citie.
- Behold, they brag in their talke, & swords are in their lips: for, Who, say they, doeth heare?
- But thou, O Lord, shalt haue them in derision, and thou shalt laugh at all the heathen.
- He is strong: but I will waite vpon thee: for God is my defence.
- My mercifull God will preuent me: God wil let me see my desire vpon mine enemies.
- Slay them not, least my people forget it: but scatter them abroad by thy power, and put them downe, O Lord our shield,
- For the sinne of their mouth, and the words of their lips: and let them be taken in their pride, euen for their periurie and lies, that they speake.
- Consume them in thy wrath: consume them that they be no more: and let them knowe that God ruleth in Iaakob, euen vnto the ends of the world.
- And in the euening they shall go to and fro, and barke like dogs, and go about the citie.
- They shall runne here and there for meate: and surely they shall not be satisfied, though they tary all night.
- But I wil sing of thy power, & will prayse thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast bene my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.
- Vnto thee, O my Strength, wil I sing: for God is my defence, and my mercifull God.