- And Hannah prayed, and said: my heart exulteth in the LORD, my horn is exalted in the LORD;
my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies;
because I rejoice in Thy salvation.
- There is none holy as the LORD, for there is none beside Thee;
neither is there any rock like our God.
- Multiply not exceeding proud talk;
let not arrogancy come out of your mouth;
for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed.
- The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.
- They that were full have hired out themselves for bread;
and they that were hungry have ceased;
while the barren hath borne seven, she that had many children hath languished.
- The LORD killeth, and maketh alive;
He bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
- The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich;
He bringeth low, He also lifteth up.
- He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, He lifteth up the needy from the dung-hill, to make them sit with princes, and inherit the throne of glory;
for the pillars of the earth are the LORD"S, and He hath set the world upon them.
- He will keep the feet of His holy ones, but the wicked shall be put to silence in darkness;
for not by strength shall man prevail.
- They that strive with the LORD shall be broken to pieces;
against them will He thunder in heaven;
the LORD will judge the ends of the earth;
and He will give strength unto His king, and exalt the horn of His anointed.
- And Elkanah went to Ramah to his house.
And the child did minister unto the LORD before Eli the priest.
- Now the sons of Eli were base men;
they knew not the LORD.
- And the custom of the priests with the people was, that, when any man offered sacrifice, the priest"s servant came, while the flesh was in seething, with a flesh-hook of three teeth in his band;
- and he struck it into the pan, or kettle, or caldron, or pot;
all that the flesh-hook brought up the priest took therewith.
So they did unto all the Israelites that came thither in Shiloh.
- Yea, before the fat was made to smoke, the priest"s servant came, and said to the man that sacrificed: "Give flesh to roast for the priest;
for he will not have sodden flesh of thee, but raw."
- And if the man said unto him: "Let the fat be made to smoke first of all, and then take as much as thy soul desireth";
then he would say: "Nay, but thou shalt give it me now;
and if not, I will take it by force."
- And the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD;
for the men dealt contemptuously with the offering of the LORD.
- But Samuel ministered before the LORD, being a child, girded with a linen ephod.
- Moreover his mother made him a little robe, and brought it to him from year to year, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.
- And Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, and say: "The LORD give thee seed of this woman for the loan which was lent to the LORD." And they would go unto their own home.
- So the LORD remembered Hannah, and she conceived, and bore three sons and two daughters.
And the child Samuel grew before the LORD.
- Now Eli was very old;
and he heard all that his sons did unto all Israel, and how that they lay with the women that did service at the door of the tent of meeting.
- And he said unto them: "Why do ye such things?
for I hear evil reports concerning you from all this people.
- Nay, my sons;
for it is no good report which I hear the LORD"S people do spread abroad.
- If one man sin against another, God shall judge him;
but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall entreat for him?" But they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.
- And the child Samuel grew on, and increased in favour both with the LORD, and also with men.
- And there came a man of God unto Eli, and said unto him: "Thus saith the LORD: Did I reveal Myself unto the house of thy father, when they were in Egypt in bondage to Pharaoh"s house?
- And did I choose him out of all the tribes of Israel to be My priest, to go up unto Mine altar, to burn incense, to wear an ephod before Me?
and did I give unto the house of thy father all the offerings of the children of Israel made by fire?
- Wherefore kick ye at My sacrifice and at Mine offering, which I have commanded in My habitation;
and honourest thy sons above Me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel My people?
- Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, saith: I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before Me for ever;
but now the LORD saith: Be it far from Me: for them that honour Me I will honour, and they that despise Me shall be lightly esteemed.
- Behold, the days come, that I will cut off thine arm, and the arm of thy father"s house, that there shall not be an old man in thy house.
- And thou shalt behold a rival in My habitation, in all the good which shall be done to Israel;
and there shall not be an old man in thy house for ever.
- Yet will I not cut off every man of thine from Mine altar, to make thine eyes to fail, and thy heart to languish;
and all the increase of thy house shall die young men.
- And this shall be the sign unto thee, that which shall come upon thy two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas: in one day they shall die both of them.
- And I will raise Me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in My heart and in My mind;
and I will build him a sure house;
and he shall walk before Mine anointed for ever.
- And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left in thy house shall come and bow down to him for a piece of silver and a loaf of bread, and shall say: Put me, I pray thee, into one of the priests" offices, that I may eat a morsel of bread."