- (13:23) So Abijah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the city of David, and Asa his son reigned in his stead;
in his days the land was quiet ten years.
- (14:1) And Asa did that which was good and right in the eyes of the LORD his God;
- (14:2) for he took away the strange altars, and the high places, and broke down the pillars, and hewed down the Asherim;
- (14:3) and commanded Judah to seek the LORD, the God of their fathers, and to do the law and the commandment.
- (14:4) Also he took away out of all the cities of Judah the high places and the sun-images;
and the kingdom was quiet before him.
- (14:5) And he built fortified cities in Judah;
for the land was quiet, and he had no war in those years;
because the LORD had given him rest.
- (14:6) For he said unto Judah: "Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars;
the land is yet before us, because we have sought the LORD our God;
we have sought Him, and He hath given us rest on every side." So they built and prospered.
- (14:7) And Asa had an army that bore bucklers and spears, out of Judah three hundred thousand;
and out of Benjamin, that bore shields and drew bows, two hundred and fourscore thousand;
all these were mighty men of valour.
- (14:8) And there came out against them Zerah the Ethiopian with an army of a thousand thousand, and three hundred chariots;
and he came unto Mareshah.
- (14:9) Then Asa went out to meet him, and they set the battle in array in the valley of Zephath at Mareshah.
- (14:10) And Asa cried unto the LORD his God, and said: "LORD, there is none beside Thee to help, between the mighty and him that hath no strength;
help us, O LORD our God;
for we rely on Thee, and in Thy name are we come against this multitude.
Thou art the LORD our God;
let not man prevail against Thee."
- (14:11) So the LORD smote the Ethiopians before Asa, and before Judah;
and the Ethiopians fled.
- (14:12) And Asa and the people that were with him pursued them unto Gerar;
and there fell of the Ethiopians so that none remained alive;
for they were shattered before the LORD, and before His host;
and they carried away very much booty.
- (14:13) And they smote all the cities round about Gerar;
for a terror from the LORD came upon them;
and they spoiled all the cities;
for there was much spoil in them.
- (14:14) They smote also the tents of cattle, and carried away sheep in abundance and camels, and returned to Jerusalem.