- Hear this word that the LORD hath spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up out of the land of Egypt, saying:
- You only have I known of all the families of the earth;
therefore I will visit upon you all your iniquities.
- Will two walk together, except they have agreed?
- Will a lion roar in the forest, when he hath no prey?
Will a young lion give forth his voice out of his den, if he have taken nothing?
- Will a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where there is no lure for it?
Will a snare spring up from the ground, and have taken nothing at all?
- Shall the horn be blown in a city, and the people not tremble?
Shall evil befall a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
- For the Lord GOD will do nothing, but He revealeth His counsel unto His servants the prophets.
- The lion hath roared, who will not fear?
The Lord GOD hath spoken, who can but prophesy?
- Proclaim it upon the palaces at Ashdod, and upon the palaces in the land of Egypt, and say: "Assemble yourselves upon the mountains of Samaria, and behold the great confusions therein, and the oppressions in the midst thereof."
- For they know not to do right, saith the LORD, who store up violence and robbery in their palaces.
- Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: An adversary, even round about the land!
And he shall bring down thy strength from thee, and thy palaces shall be spoiled.
- Thus saith the LORD: As the shepherd rescueth out of the mouth of the lion two legs, or a piece of an ear, so shall the children of Israel that dwell in Samaria escape with the corner of a couch, and the leg of a bed.
- Hear ye, and testify against the house of Jacob, saith the Lord GOD, the God of hosts.
- For in the day that I shall visit the transgressions of Israel upon him, I will also punish the altars of Beth-el, and the horns of the altar shall be cut off, and fall to the ground.
- And I will smite the winter-house with the summer-house;
and the houses of ivory shall perish, and the great houses shall have an end, saith the LORD.