- And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying:
- "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own heart: Hear ye the word of the LORD:
- Thus saith the Lord GOD: Woe unto the vile prophets, that follow their own spirit, and things which they have not seen!
- O Israel, thy prophets have been like foxes in ruins.
- Ye have not gone up into the breaches, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel, to stand in the battle in the day of the LORD.
- They have seen vanity and lying divination, that say: The LORD saith;
and the LORD hath not sent them, yet they hope that the word would be confirmed!
- Have ye not seen a vain vision, and have ye not spoken a lying divination, whereas ye say: The LORD saith;
albeit I have not spoken?
- Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Because ye have spoken vanity, and seen lies, therefore, behold, I am against you, saith the Lord GOD.
- And My hand shall be against the prophets that see vanity, and that divine lies;
they shall not be in the council of My people, neither shall they be written in the register of the house of Israel, neither shall they enter into the land of Israel;
and ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.
- Because, even because they have led My people astray, saying: Peace, and there is no peace;
and when it buildeth up a slight wall, behold, they daub it with whited plaster;
- say unto them that daub it with whited plaster, that it shall fall;
there shall be an overflowing shower, and ye, O great hailstones, shall fall, and a stormy wind shall break forth,
- and, lo, when the wall is fallen, shall it not be said unto you: Where is the daubing wherewith ye have daubed it?
- Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: I will even cause a stormy wind to break forth in My fury;
and there shall be an overflowing shower in Mine anger, and great hailstones in fury to consume it.
- So will I break down the wall that ye have daubed with whited plaster, and bring it down to the ground, so that the foundation thereof shall be uncovered;
and it shall fall, and ye shall be consumed in the midst thereof;
and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
- Thus will I spend My fury upon the wall, and upon them that have daubed it with whited plaster;
and I will say unto you: The wall is no more, neither they that daubed it;
- to wit, the prophets of Israel that prophesy concerning Jerusalem, and that see visions of peace for her, and there is no peace, saith the Lord GOD.
- And thou, son of man, set thy face against the daughters of thy people, that prophesy out of their own heart;
and prophesy thou against them,
- and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: Woe to the women that sew cushions upon all elbows, and make pads for the head of persons of every stature to hunt souls!
Will ye hunt the souls of My people, and save souls alive for yourselves?
- And ye have profaned Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for crumbs of bread, to slay the souls that should not die, and to save the souls alive that should not live, by your lying to My people that hearken unto lies.
- Wherefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against your cushions, wherewith ye hunt the souls as birds, and I will tear them from your arms;
and I will let the souls go, even the souls that ye hunt as birds.
- Your pads also will I tear, and deliver My people out of your hand, and they shall be no more in your hand to be hunted;
and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
- Because with lies ye have cowed the heart of the righteous, when I have not grieved him;
and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, that he be saved alive;
- therefore ye shall no more see vanity, nor divine divinations;
and I will deliver My people out of your hand;
and ye shall know that I am the LORD."