- And He said unto me: "Son of man, eat that which thou findest;
eat this roll, and go, speak unto the house of Israel."
- So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that roll.
- And He said unto me: "Son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee." Then did I eat it;
and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness.
- And He said unto me: "Son of man, go, get thee unto the house of Israel, and speak with My words unto them.
- For thou art not sent to a people of an unintelligible speech and of a slow tongue, but to the house of Israel;
- not to many peoples of an unintelligible speech and of a slow tongue, whose words thou canst not understand.
Surely, if I sent thee to them, they would hearken unto thee.
- But the house of Israel will not consent to hearken unto thee;
for they consent not to hearken unto Me;
for all the house of Israel are of a hard forehead and of a stiff heart.
- Behold, I have made thy face hard against their faces, and thy forehead hard against their foreheads.
- As an adamant harder than flint have I made thy forehead;
fear them not, neither be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house."
- Moreover He said unto me: "Son of man, all My words that I shall speak unto thee receive in thy heart, and hear with thine ears.
- And go, get thee to them of the captivity, unto the children of thy people, and speak unto them, and tell them: Thus saith the Lord GOD;
whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear."
- Then a spirit lifted me up, and I heard behind me the voice of a great rushing: "Blessed be the glory of the LORD from His place";
- also the noise of the wings of the living creatures as they touched one another, and the noise of the wheels beside them, even the noise of a great rushing.
- So a spirit lifted me up, and took me away;
and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit, and the hand of the LORD was strong upon me.
- Then I came to them of the captivity at Tel-abib, that dwelt by the river Chebar, and I sat where they sat;
and I remained there appalled among them seven days.
- And it came to pass at the end of seven days, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying:
- "Son of man, I have appointed thee a watchman unto the house of Israel;
and when thou shalt hear a word at My mouth, thou shalt give them warning from Me.
- When I say unto the wicked: Thou shalt surely die;
and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life;
the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at thy hand.
- Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity;
but thou hast delivered thy soul.
- Again, when a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, I will lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die;
because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteous deeds which he hath done shall not be remembered;
but his blood will I require at thy hand.
- Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous man, that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he took warning;
and thou hast delivered thy soul."
- And the hand of the LORD came there upon me;
and He said unto me: "Arise, go forth into the plain, and I will there speak with thee."
- Then I arose, and went forth into the plain;
and, behold, the glory of the LORD stood there, as the glory which I saw by the river Chebar;
and I fell on my face.
- Then spirit entered into me, and set me upon my feet;
and He spoke with me, and said unto me: "Go, shut thyself within thy house.
- But thou, son of man, behold, bands shall be put upon thee, and thou shalt be bound with them, and thou shalt not go out among them;
- and I will make thy tongue cleave to the roof of thy mouth, that thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be to them a reprover;
for they are a rebellious house.
- But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them: Thus saith the Lord GOD;
he that heareth, let him hear, and he that forbeareth, let him forbear;
for they are a rebellious house.