- Then he called in mine ears with a loud voice, saying: "Cause ye them that have charge over the city to draw near, every man with his destroying weapon in his hand."
- And, behold, six men came from the way of the upper gate, which lieth toward the north, every man with his weapon of destruction in his hand;
and one man in the midst of them clothed in linen, with a writer"s inkhorn on his side.
And they went in, and stood beside the brazen altar.
- And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon it was, to the threshold of the house;
and He called to the man clothed in linen, who had the writer"s inkhorn on his side.
- And the LORD said unto him: "Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that are done in the midst thereof."
- And to the others He said in my hearing: "Go ye through the city after him, and smite;
let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity;
- slay utterly the old man, the young man and the maiden, and little children and women;
but come not near any man upon whom is the mark;
and begin at My sanctuary." Then they began at the elders that were before the house.
- And He said unto them: "Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain;
go ye forth." And they went forth, and smote in the city.
- And it came to pass, while they were smiting, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said: "Ah Lord GOD!
wilt Thou destroy all the residue of Israel in Thy pouring out of Thy fury upon Jerusalem?"
- Then said He unto me: "The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of wresting of judgment;
for they say: The LORD hath forsaken the land, and the LORD seeth not.
- And as for Me also, Mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity, but I will bring their way upon their head."
- And, behold, the man clothed in linen, who had the inkhorn on his side, reported, saying: "I have done according to all that Thou hast commanded me."