- And the whole earth was of one language and of one speech.
- And it came to pass, as they journeyed east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar;
and they dwelt there.
- And they said one to another: "Come, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.
- And they said: "Come, let us build us a city, and a tower, with its top in heaven, and let us make us a name;
lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth."
- And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
- And the LORD said: "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language;
and this is what they begin to do;
and now nothing will be withholden from them, which they purpose to do.
- Come, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another"s speech."
- So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth;
and they left off to build the city.
- Therefore was the name of it called Babel;
because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth;
and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
- These are the generations of Shem.
Shem was a hundred years old, and begot Arpachshad two years after the flood.
- And Shem lived after he begot Arpachshad five hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Arpachshad lived five and thirty years, and begot Shelah.
- And Arpachshad lived after he begot Shelah four hundred and three years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Shelah lived thirty years, and begot Eber.
- And Shelah lived after he begot Eber four hundred and three years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begot Peleg.
- And Eber lived after he begot Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Peleg lived thirty years, and begot Reu.
- And Peleg lived after he begot Reu two hundred and nine years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begot Serug.
- And Reu lived after he begot Serug two hundred and seven years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Serug lived thirty years, and begot Nahor.
- And Serug lived after he begot Nahor two hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begot Terah.
- And Nahor lived after he begot Terah a hundred and nineteen years, and begot sons and daughters.
- And Terah lived seventy years, and begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
- Now these are the generations of Terah.
Terah begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran;
and Haran begot Lot.
- And Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
- And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram"s wife was Sarai;
and the name of Nahor"s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.
- And Sarai was barren;
she had no child.
- And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his son"s son, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram"s wife;
and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan;
and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
- And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years;
and Terah died in Haran.