- And God said unto Jacob: "Arise, go up to Beth-el, and dwell there;
and make there an altar unto God, who appeared unto thee when thou didst flee from the face of Esau thy brother."
- Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him: "Put away the strange gods that are among you, and purify yourselves, and change your garments;
- and let us arise, and go up to Beth-el;
and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went."
- And they gave unto Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hand, and the rings which were in their ears;
and Jacob hid them under the terebinth which was by Shechem.
- And they journeyed;
and a terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.
- So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan - the same is Beth-el - he and all the people that were with him.
- And he built there an altar, and called the place El-beth-el, because there God was revealed unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
- And Deborah Rebekah"s nurse died, and she was buried below Beth-el under the oak;
and the name of it was called Allon-bacuth.
- And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him.
- And God said unto him: "Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name";
and He called his name Israel.
- And God said unto him: "I am God Almighty.
Be fruitful and multiply;
a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;
- and the land which I gave unto Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land."
- And God went up from him in the place where He spoke with him.
- And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He spoke with him, a pillar of stone, and he poured out a drink-offering thereon, and poured oil thereon.
- And Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Beth-el.
- And they journeyed from Beth-el;
and there was still some way to come to Ephrath;
and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour.
- And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the mid-wife said unto her: "Fear not;
for this also is a son for thee."
- And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing - for she died - that she called his name Ben-oni;
but his father called him Benjamin.
- And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath - the same is Beth-lehem.
- And Jacob set up a pillar upon her grave;
the same is the pillar of Rachel"s grave unto this day.
- And Israel journeyed, and spread his tent beyond Migdal-eder.
- And it came to pass, while Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father"s concubine;
and Israel heard of it.
Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:
- the sons of Leah: Reuben, Jacob"s first-born, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun;
- the sons of Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin;
- and the sons of Bilhah, Rachel"s handmaid: Dan and Naphtali;
- and the sons of Zilpah, Leah"s handmaid: Gad and Asher.
These are the sons of Jacob, that were born to him in Paddan-aram.
- And Jacob came unto Isaac his father to Mamre, to Kiriatharba - the same is Hebron - where Abraham and Isaac sojourned.
- And the days of Isaac were a hundred and fourscore years.
- And Isaac expired, and died, and was gathered unto his people, old and full of days;
and Esau and Jacob his sons buried him.