- Israel was a luxuriant vine, which put forth fruit freely: as his fruit increased, he increased his altars;
the more goodly his land was, the more goodly were his pillars.
- Their heart is divided;
now shall they bear their guilt;
He will break down their altars, He will spoil their pillars.
- Surely now shall they say: "We have no king;
for we feared not the LORD;
and the king, what can he do for us?"
- They speak words, they swear falsely, they make covenants;
thus judgment springeth up as hemlock in the furrows of the field.
- The inhabitants of Samaria shall be in dread for the calves of Beth-aven;
for the people thereof shall mourn over it, and the priests thereof shall tremble for it, for its glory, because it is departed from it.
- It also shall be carried unto Assyria, for a present to King Contentious;
Ephraim shall receive shame, and Israel shall be ashamed of his own counsel.
- As for Samaria, her king is cut off, as foam upon the water.
- The high places also of Aven shall be destroyed, even the sin of Israel.
The thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars;
and they shall say to the mountains: "Cover us", and to the hills: "Fall on us."
- From the days of Gibeah thou hast sinned, O Israel;
there they stood;
no battle was to overtake them in Gibeah, nor the children of arrogancy.
- When it is My desire, I will chastise them;
and the peoples shall be gathered against them, when they are yoked to their two rings.
- And Ephraim is a heifer well broken, that loveth to thresh, and I have passed over upon her fair neck;
I will make Ephraim to ride, Judah shall plow, Jacob shall break his clods.
- Sow to yourselves according to righteousness, reap according to mercy, break up your fallow ground;
for it is time to seek the LORD, till He come and cause righteousness to rain upon you.
- Ye have plowed wickedness, ye have reaped iniquity, ye have eaten the fruit of lies;
for thou didst trust in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men.
- Therefore shall a tumult arise among thy hosts, and all thy fortresses shall be spoiled, as Shalman spoiled Beth-arbel in the day of battle;
the mother was dashed in pieces with her children.
- So hath Beth-el done unto you because of your great wickedness;
at daybreak is the king of Israel utterly cut off.