- When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My son.
- The more they called them, the more they went from them;
they sacrificed unto the Baalim, and offered to graven images.
- And I, I taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by their arms;
but they knew not that I healed them.
- I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love;
and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I fed them gently.
- He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
- And the sword shall fall upon his cities, and shall consume his bars, and devour them, because of their own counsels.
- And My people are in suspense about returning to Me;
and though they call them upwards, none at all will lift himself up.
- How shall I give thee up, Ephraim?
How shall I surrender thee, Israel?
How shall I make thee as Admah?
How shall I set thee as Zeboim?
My heart is turned within Me, My compassions are kindled together.
- I will not execute the fierceness of Mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim;
for I am God, and not man, the Holy One in the midst of thee;
and I will not come in fury.
- They shall walk after the LORD, who shall roar like a lion;
for He shall roar, and the children shall come trembling from the west.
- They shall come trembling as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria;
and I will make them to dwell in their houses, saith the LORD.
- (12:1) Ephraim compasseth Me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit;
and Judah is yet wayward towards God, and towards the Holy One who is faithful.