- (2:3) Say ye unto your brethren: "Ammi";
and to your sisters, "Ruhamah."
- (2:4) Plead with your mother, plead;
for she is not My wife, neither am I her husband;
and let her put away her harlotries from her face, and her adulteries from between her breasts;
- (2:5) Lest I strip her naked, and set her as in the day that she was born, and make her as a wilderness, and set her like a dry land, and slay her with thirst.
- (2:6) And I will not have compassion upon her children;
for they are children of harlotry.
- (2:7) For their mother hath played the harlot, she that conceived them hath done shamefully;
for she said: "I will go after my lovers, that give me my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, mine oil and my drink."
- (2:8) Therefore, behold, I will hedge up thy way with thorns, and I will make a wall against her, that she shall not find her paths.
- (2:9) And she shall run after her lovers, but she shall not overtake them, and she shall seek them, but shall not find them;
then shall she say: "I will go and return to my first husband;
for then was it better with me than now."
- (2:10) For she did not know that it was I that gave her the corn, and the wine, and the oil, and multiplied unto her silver and gold, which they used for Baal.
- (2:11) Therefore will I take back My corn in the time thereof, and My wine in the season thereof, and will snatch away My wool and My flax given to cover her nakedness.
- (2:12) And now will I uncover her shame in the sight of her lovers, and none shall deliver her out of My hand.
- (2:13) I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feasts, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her appointed seasons.
- (2:14) And I will lay waste her vines and her fig-trees, whereof she hath said: "These are my hire that my lovers have given me";
and I will make them a forest, and the beasts of the field shall eat them.
- (2:15) And I will visit upon her the days of the Baalim, wherein she offered unto them, and decked herself with her ear-rings and her jewels, and went after her lovers, and forgot Me, saith the LORD.
- (2:16) Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly unto her.
- (2:17) And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope;
and she shall respond there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt.
- (2:18) And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, that thou shalt call Me Ishi, and shalt call Me no more Baali.
- (2:19) For I will take away the names of the Baalim out of her mouth, and they shall no more be mentioned by their name.
- (2:20) And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground;
and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the land, and will make them to lie down safely.
- (2:21) And I will betroth thee unto Me for ever;
yea, I will betroth thee unto Me in righteousness, and in justice, and in lovingkindness, and in compassion.
- (2:22) And I will betroth thee unto Me in faithfulness;
and thou shalt know the LORD.
- (2:23) And it shall come to pass in that day, I will respond, saith the LORD, I will respond to the heavens, and they shall respond to the earth;
- (2:24) And the earth shall respond to the corn, and the wine, and the oil;
and they shall respond to Jezreel.
- (2:25) And I will sow her unto Me in the land;
and I will have compassion upon her that had not obtained compassion;
and I will say to them that were not My people: "Thou art My people";
and they shall say: "Thou art my God."