- Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel!
for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
- Swearing and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery!
they break all bounds, and blood toucheth blood.
- Therefore doth the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein doth languish, with the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven;
yea, the fishes of the sea also are taken away.
- Yet let no man strive, neither let any man reprove;
for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.
- Therefore shalt thou stumble in the day, and the prophet also shall stumble with thee in the night;
and I will destroy thy mother.
- My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge;
because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to Me;
seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I also will forget thy children.
- The more they were increased, the more they sinned against Me;
I will change their glory into shame.
- They feed on the sin of My people, and set their heart on their iniquity.
- And it is like people, like priest;
and I will punish him for his ways, and will recompense him his doings.
- And they shall eat, and not have enough, they shall commit harlotry, and shall not increase;
because they have left off to take heed to the LORD.
- Harlotry, wine, and new wine take away the heart.
- My people ask counsel at their stock, and their staff declareth unto them;
for the spirit of harlotry hath caused them to err, and they have gone astray from under their God.
- They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and offer upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and terebinths, because the shadow thereof is good;
therefore your daughters commit harlotry, and your daughters-in-law commit adultery.
- I will not punish your daughters when they commit harlotry, nor your daughters-in-law when they commit adultery;
for they themselves consort with lewd women, and they sacrifice with harlots;
and the people that is without understanding is distraught.
- Though thou, Israel, play the harlot, yet let not Judah become guilty;
and come not ye unto Gilgal, neither go ye up to Beth-aven, nor swear: "As the LORD liveth."
- For Israel is stubborn like a stubborn heifer;
now shall the LORD feed them as a lamb in a large place?
- Ephraim is joined to idols;
let him alone.
- When their carouse is over, they take to harlotry;
her rulers deeply love dishonour.
- The wind hath bound her up in her skirts;
and they shall be ashamed because of their sacrifices.