- The burden of the wilderness of the sea.
As whirlwinds in the South sweeping on, it cometh from the wilderness, from a dreadful land.
- A grievous vision is declared unto me: "The treacherous dealer dealeth treacherously, and the spoiler spoileth.
Go up, O Elam!
besiege, O Media!
All the sighing thereof have I made to cease."
- Therefore are my loins filled with convulsion;
pangs have taken hold upon me, as the pangs of a woman in travail;
I am bent so that I cannot hear;
I am affrighted so that I cannot see.
- My heart is bewildered, terror hath overwhelmed me;
the twilight that I longed for hath been turned for me into trembling.
- They prepare the table, they light the lamps, they eat, they drink - " Rise up, ye princes, anoint the shield."
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me: Go, set a watchman;
let him declare what he seeth!
- And when he seeth a troop, horsemen by pairs, a troop of asses, a troop of camels, he shall hearken diligently with much heed.
- And he cried as a lion: "Upon the watch-tower, O Lord, I stand continually in the daytime, and I am set in my ward all the nights."
- And, behold, there came a troop of men, horsemen by pairs.
And he spoke and said: "Fallen, fallen is Babylon;
and all the graven images of her gods are broken unto the ground."
- O thou my threshing, and the winnowing of my floor, that which I have heard from the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you.
- The burden of Dumah.
One calleth unto me out of Seir: "Watchman, what of the night?
Watchman, what of the night?"
- The watchman said: "The morning cometh, and also the night - if ye will inquire, inquire ye;
- The burden upon Arabia.
In the thickets in Arabia shall ye lodge, O ye caravans of Dedanites.
- Unto him that is thirsty bring ye water!
The inhabitants of the land of Tema did meet the fugitive with his bread.
- For they fled away from the swords, from the drawn sword, and from the bent bow, and from the grievousness of war.
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me: "Within a year, according to the years of a hireling, and all the glory of Kedar shall fail;
- and the residue of the number of the archers, the mighty men of the children of Kedar, shall be diminished;
for the LORD, the God of Israel, hath spoken it."