- For, behold, the Lord, the LORD of hosts, doth take away from Jerusalem and from Judah stay and staff, every stay of bread, and every stay of water;
- The mighty man, and the man of war;
the judge, and the prophet, and the diviner, and the elder;
- The captain of fifty, and the man of rank, and the counsellor, and the cunning charmer, and the skilful enchanter.
- And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them.
- And the people shall oppress one another, every man his fellow, and every man his neighbour;
the child shall behave insolently against the aged, and the base against the honourable,
- For a man shall take hold of his brother of the house of his father: "Thou hast a mantle, be thou our ruler, and let this ruin be under thy hand."
- In that day shall he swear, saying: "I will not be a healer;
for in my house is neither bread nor a mantle;
ye shall not make me ruler of a people."
- For Jerusalem is ruined, and Judah is fallen;
because their tongue and their doings are against the LORD, to provoke the eyes of His glory.
- The show of their countenance doth witness against them;
and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not.
Woe unto their soul!
for they have wrought evil unto themselves.
- Say ye of the righteous, that it shall be well with him;
for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
- Woe unto the wicked!
it shall be ill with him;
for the work of his hands shall be done to him.
- As for My people, a babe is their master, and women rule over them.
O My people, they that lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.
- The LORD standeth up to plead, and standeth to judge the peoples.
- The LORD will enter into judgment with the elders of His people, and the princes thereof: "It is ye that have eaten up the vineyard;
the spoil of the poor is in your houses;
- What mean ye that ye crush My people, and grind the face of the poor?" saith the Lord, the GOD of hosts.
- Moreover the LORD said: because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched-forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet;
- Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will lay bare their secret parts.
- In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their anklets, and the fillets, and the crescents;
- the pendants, and the bracelets, and the veils;
- the headtires, and the armlets, and the sashes, and the corselets, and the amulets;
- the rings, and the nose-jewels;
- the aprons, and the mantelets, and the cloaks, and the girdles;
- and the gauze robes, and the fine linen, and the turbans, and the mantles.
- And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet spices there shall be rottenness;
and instead of a girdle rags;
and instead of curled hair baldness;
and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth;
branding instead of beauty.
- Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.
- And her gates shall lament and mourn;
and utterly bereft she shall sit upon the ground.