- Yet now hear, O Jacob My servant, and Israel, whom I have chosen;
- Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, who will help thee: Fear not, O Jacob My servant, and thou, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
- For I will pour water upon the thirsty land, and streams upon the dry ground;
I will pour My spirit upon thy seed, and My blessing upon thine offspring;
- And they shall spring up among the grass, as willows by the watercourses.
- One shall say: "I am the LORD"S";
and another shall call himself by the name of Jacob;
and another shall subscribe with his hand unto the LORD, and surname himself by the name of Israel.
- Thus saith the LORD, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer the LORD of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last, and beside Me there is no God.
- And who, as I, can proclaim - let him declare it, and set it in order for Me - since I appointed the ancient people?
And the things that are coming, and that shall come to pass, let them declare.
- Fear ye not, neither be afraid;
have I not announced unto thee of old, and declared it?
And ye are My witnesses.
Is there a God beside Me?
Yea, there is no Rock;
I know not any.
- They that fashion a graven image are all of them vanity, and their delectable things shall not profit;
and their own witnesses see not, nor know;
that they may be ashamed.
- Who hath fashioned a god, or molten an image that is profitable for nothing?
- Behold, all the fellows thereof shall be ashamed;
and the craftsmen skilled above men;
let them all be gathered together, let them stand up;
they shall fear, they shall be ashamed together.
- The smith maketh an axe, and worketh in the coals, and fashioneth it with hammers, and worketh it with his strong arm;
yea, he is hungry, and his strength faileth;
he drinketh no water, and is faint.
- The carpenter stretcheth out a line;
he marketh it out with a pencil;
he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compasses, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man, to dwell in the house.
- He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the ilex and the oak, and strengtheneth for himself one among the trees of the forest;
he planteth a bay-tree, and the rain doth nourish it.
- Then a man useth it for fuel;
and he taketh thereof, and warmeth himself;
yea, he kindleth it, and baketh bread;
yea, he maketh a god, and worshippeth it;
he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.
- He burneth the half thereof in the fire;
with the half thereof he eateth flesh;
he roasteth roast, and is satisfied;
yea, he warmeth himself, and saith: "Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire";
- And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image;
he falleth down unto it and worshippeth, and prayeth unto it, and saith: "Deliver me, for thou art my god."
- They know not, neither do they understand;
for their eyes are bedaubed, that they cannot see, and their hearts, that they cannot understand.
- And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say: "I have burned the half of it in the fire;
yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof;
I have roasted flesh and eaten it;
and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination?
Shall I fall down to the stock of a tree?"
- He striveth after ashes, a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say: "Is there not a lie in my right hand?"
- Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for thou art My servant;
I have formed thee, thou art Mine own servant;
O Israel, thou shouldest not forget Me.
- I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins;
return unto Me, for I have redeemed thee.
- Sing, O ye heavens, for the LORD hath done it;
shout, ye lowest parts of the earth;
break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein;
for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and doth glorify Himself in Israel.
- Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, and He that formed thee from the womb: I am the LORD, that maketh all things;
that stretched forth the heavens alone;
that spread abroad the earth by Myself;
- That frustrateth the tokens of the imposters, and maketh diviners mad;
that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;
- That confirmeth the word of His servant, and performeth the counsel of His messengers;
that saith of Jerusalem: "She shall be inhabited";
and of the cities of Judah: "They shall be built, and I will raise up the waste places thereof";
- That saith to the deep: "Be dry, and I will dry up thy rivers";
- That saith of Cyrus: "He is My shepherd, and shall perform all My pleasure";
even saying of Jerusalem: "She shall be built";
and to the temple: "My foundation shall be laid."